To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
It seems like anything Apple puts on the market we, as consumers, treat it like gold. We love the sleek look of their devices, the compatibility, the features and the name behind the product. When you hear about the company Apple, you probably think of quality electronic devices but at a more expensive price point. Is it worth it in the end? That’s what we’re going to discuss here today. The Apple Watch had a lot of chatter about it before it even hit the market and now that it’s had some time out in the world, what do we think of it? We’ll go over the key points of the Apple Watch and let you make the decision as to whether you think it’s a “must buy” or a “no thank you”.
Apple Watch Review
- Lift your wrist and the face will light up (when you aren’t using it the screen will be black)
- Lots of bells and whistles such as a sketch feature and displaying your heart rate
- Watch face and bands available in 2 different sizes
- Customizable watch faces
- Tracks your fitness via the Activity app and includes an accelerometer and heart rate sensor
- Apple Pay
- Water resistant up to 50 meters, so you can swim with it
- Built in GPS, cellular & heart rate sensor
- Emergency call feature allows you to hold a button and contact 911 as well as your emergency contacts
- Watch automatically adjusts when daylight savings occurs and when you move from one time zone to the next
- iOS only
- Only 18 hour battery life
- Heart rate monitor
- Waterproof up to 50 meters, so you can swim with it (Series 3 only)
- Draw sketches with your finger and send to other users
- Access to: alarm, moon phase, timer, calendar, stocks, weather, activity, stop watch, world clock, sunrise/sunset, maps and reminders
- Fitness and activity tracker
- Built in GPS and cellular, so you don’t have to bring your iPhone on runs anymore (Series 3 only; select carriers only)
- Apple Pay (see video below)
Pricing and products as of September 2017 Apple announcement.
- Apple Watch Series 1: Starting at $249
- Apple Watch Series 3 GPS: Starting at $329
- Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular: Starting at $399
Below is a more detailed listing of what each watch consists of and the different bands available. All 3 watches have a battery life up to 18 hours, but the speed and features vary by watch.
There are 10 band styles available in various colors: sport band, woven nylon, classic buckle, modern buckle, leather loop, milanese loop, link bracelet, Apple Watch Hermès single tour, Apple Watch Hermès double tour and Apple Watch Hermès double buckle cuff.
The Apple Watch Series 1 case and band is white or black sport band only and 8 GB capacity. It has a s1P dual-core processor, is splash resistant, with heart rate sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, ambient light sensor, and the display scratch-resistant.
The Apple Watch Series 3 announced in September 2017 has everything that the Apple 1 series watch has but is water resistant up to 50 meters and has built in GPS tracker for hikes and exercising. It has also been upgraded to a faster processor and has a builtin wireless chip. The 3 series is available in a variety of bands including sport, mesh and colors including rose gold, black, white and grey. There is also a Nike+ version.
The Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular has all that the other series 3 has but in addition has, you guessed it, cellular (through major carriers, pricing separately). It comes in all the same colors as the Series 3 and more, including a special edition Hermès branded watch with leather band and a special “Apple Watch Edition” created with a choice of two high-design ceramic finishes.
Is Apple Watch Good or Bad?
Apple Watch is our #1 pick for best smartwatch for iOS users. But are you wondering if Apple Watch is worth the price? Read these customer reviews below.
BRAVO APPLE!!! and Bravo Best Buy for being such a great partner and carrying Apple Products. I enjoy going tot the Apple Store, but with the customer service provided at Best Buy, its just as wonderful, if not better. Apple Watch Series 2; SPEECHLESS. I know people are hesitant in purchasing this item because its not fully a watch on its own, but I can personally tell you how OUTSTANDING this product is. It has allowed me the opportunity to be more aware of my health, especially taking time out of the day and breathing, standing, and being active. Overall, this product helps with my productivity and efficiency in my daily routine. Thank you Best Buy and Apple! – ForwardA, Best Buy 10/18/2016
To my understanding it was suppose to be much more fitness based but you just download other apps which are free on the iPhone. It is okay compared to other fitness bands but smart watch wise is very good. I ended up selling and bought a Fitbit since I wanted more fitness rather than just a smart watch. If looking for more fitness features and all day heart rate do more research. Overall good for notifications but okay for fitness needs more development – Orlando, Best Buy 10/2/2016
There are lots of pros and cons to having a smartwatch. It gives you easier access to technology, but what about when you want to “disconnect” from the world? After reading our Apple Watch Review, see how it compares to other big name smartwatches. It will help you decide if you want to spend a lot on the Apple Watch or go with a less expensive option.
Do you think the Apple Watch is worth the price?