How do we keep this site running? This post may contain affiliate links — the cost is the same to you, but we get a referral fee. Compensation does not affect rankings. Thanks!
Is your MacBook (or PC) low on space? Or perhaps it’s running a bit slower than usual. In my case I was frequently receiving “Storage Full” errors despite my best efforts to clear my hard drive and trash can. As it turns out files were hiding in various places and eating up all my disk space (mail attachments from Mac Mail, cache from browsers, etc.). And even if I had known where to go to find the junk, it would have taken me hours to clean it up manually. I thought, “there has to be a better way!” and there is. With a few clicks of a button, CleanMyMac from MacPaw can save you gigabytes of space on your computer and help keep your system running efficiently. No matter how old your computer is, it’s always a good idea to be proactive and invest in a Mac cleaner that will save you headaches down the road. Keep reading to learn how to have a clean Mac in no time.
CleanMyMac 3 Review
There are two previous versions of CleanMyMac’s Mac cleaner, but we’ll be reviewing the latest version (CleanMyMac 3). We should also note that MacPaw gave us a license to test out all the features; however, that didn’t in any way skew our opinion or thoughts on the product.
- Notifies you when a program isn’t responding and asks you if you want to force quit (see below)
- Quickly and easily see hard drive space, memory usage, battery life and processor CPU% in dashboard (or menu bar, see below)
- Scans iTunes, MacMail, photo library, web browsers and more
- Removes outdated backups, software updates and other data in iTunes
- Reduces size of photo library by replacing RAW with JPEG and cleaning out extraneous data
- Locates larger than usual files or files you haven’t used in awhile
- Empties trash bins from all programs including photo library trash
- Keeps a running total of space cleaned to date since the first scan
- See list of applications, sort by size and uninstall from within app
- Maintenance task runs a set of scripts to optimize performance
- Instantly remove browsing history on all browsers and sweep your chat history from various chat programs
- Remove or disable unused widgets, application plugins that take up space
- Shredder feature safely erases folders and files permanently without being able to be restored
Free Trial of CleanMyMac 3 cleans up to 500 MB.
CleanMyMac 3 (for OS X 10.8+):
- $39.95 for 1 license
- $59.95 for 2 licenses ($29.99 each)
- $89.95 for 5 licenses ($17.99 each)
CleanMyMac Classic (for OS X 10.4 -10.8):
- $29.95 for 1 license
- $49.95 for 2 licenses ($24.98 each)
- $74.95 for 5 licenses ($14.99 each)
If you have a small business or family of Mac users the 5 licenses bundle is the best way to save.
30% discount if you have a .edu email address.
What Do CleanMyMac Users Have to Say?
Don’t just take our word for it. Here are a few customer reviews so you can have a better idea of others’ experiences as well. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, we were unable to find any negative reviews about CleanMyMac, so we couldn’t share any negative experiences with the software.
Positive CleanMyMac Reviews
I like the new features for cleaning iTunes, maintenance and privacy settings. All work perfectly. The new flat user interface looks great. – Colin Morris, Melbourne, Australia (MacPaw’s website)
I’ve had my Mac for 3 years. I wondered if it needed some kind of “cleaning”. This product came bundled with Parallels so I paid nothing for it. I hesitated to install it, but I did. I let it do its thing with default settings. It cleaned up around 8 GB over 2.5 TB worth of stuff. It found old/large files that I did not want cleaned up. Really, it only cleaned up installation remnants and language files that I’ll never use. For that, it worked great. Otherwise, it really didn’t do as much as some Windows equivalents that are out there. I’m sure I could have changed settings to make it more aggressive, but it doesn’t seem necessary. -Booch_211, February 2014 (Cnet.com)
Negative CleanMyMac Reviews
We couldn’t find any negative reviews or anything bad to say about CleanMyMac.
CleanMyMac Video Overview
If you’re still not convinced, here’s a minute and a half video that shows you just how easy it is to use Clean My Mac.
If you’re looking for a proactive tool to speed up your computer and to save yourself from multiple trips to the Apple Genius Bar, then CleanMyMac is well worth the investment.
What software do you use to clean up your computer?