To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
You likely heard the buzz earlier this year when WikiLeaks revealed that the CIA has been spying through Samsung smart TVs and other devices. While most of us don’t necessarily have to worry about the CIA, we do need protection from hackers looking to steal our identity or financial information. And this threat isn’t just to our laptops, PCs and smartphones. If you have smart devices connected to your home’s network, they’re all susceptible to hackers and malware. Yes, this includes everything from baby monitors and security cameras to smart dishwashers and microwaves. In fact, hackers look specifically for vulnerable devices — and every smart device is up for grabs. That’s why protecting your entire smart home network is invaluable. So, what can Cujo do for you? Keep reading to learn more.
Cujo Smart Firewall Review
- Works with existing WiFi router (compatible with most
- Strong AES-256 encryption
- Offers a one-time payment for device and lifetime service
- Learns and analyzes the behavior of your devices
- Can customize DHCP settings and set static IP addresses for any device via iOS or Android app
- Includes parental controls
- Customers report excellent tech support
- Requires ongoing service with subscription fees (except for one-time purchase option)
- Some users report confusing DHCP configuration process
- Excellent smart home firewall features: safe browsing (IP/DNS), unauthorized access blocking, antivirus and antimalware, local and cloud security layers, DoS attack protection
- Supports multiple ways to connect, including WiFi router, modem and router as separate devices, modem and router as one device, and wireless extender or access point in addition to your router (read our router reviews)
- Customizable DHCP settings (Subnet, IP range, Lease time, Static IP, DNS)
- Fast 1GB Ethernet connection
- Instant threat notifications on the mobile app
- Parental control over each device with time limits and blocked sites
- Live video chat support 7 days/week
The Cujo home firewall offers a few pricing options for the device and service subscription.
- Simple plan: $99 for device; $8.99/month for service
- Standard plan: $158 for device and first year of service (then it’s $59 per year for service)
- Device with Lifetime Subscription (Best value): $158.98
- 1-year warranty
- 30-day money back guarantee
How Exactly Does Cujo Protect Your Smart Home?
CUJO continually analyzes your local network traffic data in real time and then sends statistics on that data to the cloud for further analysis. It does this by scanning metadata packets coming into and leaving your local network, but to keep your privacy intact, Cujo doesn’t send the packet contents to their cloud. They also send you a notification on your app if they’ve blocked an attempted attack.
Check out a video recap of Cujo’s appearance at the 2016 CES consumer tech tradeshow to learn more about how Cujo works.
What About Cujo Alternatives?
After reading our Cujo firewall review, are you still not sure Cujo is right for you? Although we chose it as our number one pick for smart home security devices, be sure to check out our full Internet of Things security reviews to see other similar products that can protect your smart home devices.
What types of smart home devices do you need to protect?