How do we keep this site running? This post may contain affiliate links — the cost is the same to you, but we get a referral fee. Compensation does not affect rankings. Thanks!
No doubt in response to DISH’s Slingbox technology, DIRECTV has unveiled an option where users can, for a one-time fee, purchase a box that will sync up your DVR shows with a portable device (iPhone, iPad, Laptop, PC, etc.). When it was initially introduced it was called the Nomad but has since been renamed to the GenieGO. The GenieGO was discontinued in late 2015/early 2016 (all information below is based on historical info from when the Nomad was sold).
This follows right on the footsteps of the DIRECTV iPad upgrade that allowed users to watch shows on their iPads in realtime. If you have an iPad and didn’t know this was possible, upgrade your app (you should be prompted to do so the next time you launch your DIRECTV app)! Also, you are now able to extend recording time, just like you’re able to do on your DIRECTV DVR. This is a feature that has been in the request queue for some time, so we’re happy to see it finally arrive.
What Do I Need? (Nomad System Requirements)
To use DIRECTV’s nomad, you’ll need:
- DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (model HR20 or later) or a DIRECTV Plus® DVR (model R22) connected to the Internet.
- Wireless router with Ethernet port (you’ll connect the DIRECTV nomad to this)
What Nomad Can, and Cannot Do
You first have to sync up shows with the nomad and your DVR before you can access them remotely. Fortunately, you can setup the nomad to auto-download series, which means new shows will automatically be synced to your portable devices. If there’s an older show you want to take on the road, make sure you sync it up before you leave home. Our advice is to give your shows a test run before leaving to make sure you’ve got what you need to keep you entertained during your travels.
Here are some features and limitations of nomad you should be aware of:
- You can sync your DIRECTV DVR with up to 5 portable devices. You’ll need to be at home on a wireless connection to initially sync up your shows.
- You can tell your DVR to automatically prepare new shows (sync them up) for watching on your portable devices.
- Once they’re downloaded to your portable devices, you can watch them without being connected to the Internet.
- You can store up to 20 hours (more with an external hard drive add-on) of your favorite shows using nomad.
How Does Nomad Work?
The nomad device is simple to setup. Follow these quick start steps to get up and running (more detailed steps below):
- Confirm that your DIRECTV HD DVR is connected to the Internet.
- Connect your nomad to your wireless router.
- Power up your nomad.
- Verify that all three lights are blue on the nomad.
- Download and install the nomad app on your PC or mobile device.
In slightly more detail, here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Confirm that your DVR is connected to the Internet by pressing the right-arrow on your DIRECTV remote (you’ll get an error message “No network connection detected. Please check your connection and try again” if it’s not).
- Connect your nomad to your wireless router by plugging one end of your Ethernet cable into the back of the nomad, and the other into an open port on your wireless router.
- Fire up the nomad by plugging it into a power outlet (using the supplied power adapter). You’ll see a green light if it powers up successfully.
- If everything was setup correctly, you should see 3 blue lights on your nomad (if you see an orange blinking light, it means the nomad is updating its firmware – simply wait until it’s done and all lights should turn blue).
- Download and install your nomad app (listed below), launch it and follow the on screen instructions.
When you’re all set, kick back and sync your favorite shows, or setup auto download to have new episodes prepared to download to your nomad. Finally, fire up a portable device and watch a show to confirm that it’s working before heading out on the road.
Special Offers from DIRECTV
Visit the DIRECTV Website to learn more about the great offers that are available.