To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Hagerty specializes in insuring a wide variety of classic, antique and collectible vehicles. With low premiums, a guaranteed agreed value and fantastic low-priced add-on options, Hagerty sounds like a solid choice. But do they deliver their customers reliable coverage and claims?
- Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- Policy Add-Ons
- Customer Reviews
- Why Get Collectible Car Insurance? (Video)
- How Does Hagerty Compare?
- In business for more than 25 years
- No mileage limitations (as long as it’s not a daily-use car)
- $750 of coverage for lost or stolen spare parts and $250 for personal items
- Automatic 30-day coverage if you buy a second collectible car
- Optional restoration coverage
- Roadside assistance add-on
- Some model-year and value restrictions
- Several users report 3-4 hour wait times for their flatbed towing assistance
- Not BBB accredited
- Long history as a financially sound insurance provider
- Ability to file claims online, by phone or with your local agent
- Also offers classic boat insurance
- Instant new purchase coverage: 30 days of coverage for up to $50,000 of the vehicle value for new collectible cars
- Up to $1,000 of coverage for motorcycle safety apparel including leather pants, gloves, jacket and helmet
- Excellent website resources about classic car values, market trends and more
- Not BBB accredited
- A.M. Best rating*: A (excellent)
*A.M. Best measures companies’ financial stability.
Hagerty classic car insurance premiums vary widely based on the year, make and model of your collectible car as well as your state of residence.
Vehicle Under Construction Coverage
If you’re restoring or building a classic car, you can purchase Hagerty’s restoration coverage for $20 per year, which includes:
- An automatic 10% increase per quarter (up to $25,000) until the restoration is complete.
- An additional $750 of coverage for automotive tools.
- A dedicated toll-free number to classic and collectible vehicle towing specialists to get your car back and forth from the shop.
Traveling Collector Coverage
For just $25 per year, you can also add on $1,500 coverage for trip interruption reimbursement for the use of a rental, repayment of expenses (tickets, fees, etc.) and food and lodging during repairs. This add-on also includes $10,000 accidental death coverage, $500 of which can cover a family pet.
All roadside service plans include guaranteed flatbed towing and unlimited service calls.
|1st Gear||2nd Gear||3rd Gear|
|Covers||Classic Cars||Classic Cars||All Household Vehicles|
|Miles Per Tow||15||60||150|
Don’t know why some in the reviews section have such bad experiences with Hagerty. I recently had a comprehensive claim when my vintage motorcycle fell over in 30mph+ winds while in the driveway. Within 2 days they sent an appraiser out, and a week after that they had a check on the way. The amount their appraiser quoted for repairs was within $10 of my estimate so pretty much spot on. Maybe there is a difference between how they handle cars vs. motorcycles, but in my experience it was very pleasant to deal with them. – Eric W., Yelp 6/4/2019
We own a classic car for which we were paying a much higher amount with a better-known company. The quote from Hagerty was far less expensive for more comprehensive coverage. When we needed road service, Hagerty dispatched a tow truck that arrived in record time. Hagerty’s dispatcher was honestly courteous (not nice-because-I-am-paid-to-be-nice) and the tow truck operator was incredibly careful, knowledgeable and gregarious. Hagerty is the gold standard for insurance companies. They have competitive pricing and terrific customer service. – Stacy, Consumer Affairs 6/9/2017
Filing a claim with Hagerty has been the most difficult and insufferable process I’ve ever had when filing a claim. There is never an adjuster available to speak with (or any upper level management for that matter) and when you finally do get someone on the phone, they are of no help. Hailey makes no effort to expedite the process, even after making promises to do so. It’s been three weeks since I filed my claim and I am still fighting tooth and nail to get things done. – Eleanor M., Yelp 4/7/2019
I bought a ‘Vehicle Under Construction’ policy to cover a truck that I was restoring. It was damaged in the process and I was told that Hagerty would basically only cover damages caused by fire or natural disaster. Collision coverage was not made available to me on the policy options that were presented to me since it was in pieces at the time you insured my truck. I thought that by this one being more expensive would cover more not less. – Adam, Consumer Affairs 3/30/2017
Check out this brief video that highlights some of the reasons you’ll want collectible car insurance.
We’ve found some buzz around the web that Hagerty has some of the lowest rates you’ll find for classic car insurance. When it comes to claims and customer service, reviews are mixed. Many people have had satisfying experiences, while others not so much. We will note, however, that this is a fairly common occurrence with most insurance companies. See how Hagerty Insurance compares to other companies in our comprehensive classic car insurance review.
What kind of collectible vehicle are you looking to insure?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.