To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
LifeShield is one of the few home security companies to have IFTTT (If This Then That) integration, but it only offers a one year warranty, which is not up to par with what its competitors offer. Does the warranty matter to you if you’re saving money on LifeShield’s low monthly monitoring fee? And is its customer service reputation good enough for your service? We dive into the details and help you decide.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- User Reviews
- Is It Easy To Install? (Video)
- Is LifeShield Worthy Of Your Money?
- Has 3 monitoring stations
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Month-to-month service available
- Cellular monitoring available only as a backup
- Terrible customer service reputation (many complaints about slow response times, uninformed representatives, etc.)
- Cancellation fees*
*For a 3-year contract, you must pay $15/month for each month left in the contract (2 months = $30, 3 months = $45, etc.). For a 5-year contract, you must pay $9/month for each month remaining.
- 3 monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Broadband (internet) monitoring with cellular as a backup (suggests having a landline connection as well for 3-way monitoring)
- Customer service options: phone, email and FAQs
- BBB rating: A+
- Smash & Crash Protection: if an intruder destroys the hub or keypad, the distress signal still goes through
- LifeShield security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-wave connectivity (a wireless communication protocol) to home automation equipment
- 1-year warranty (many competitors offer a lifetime warranty)
- 24-hour battery backup
- Cancellation fees:
- 36-month contracts: $15/month left of the contract (3 months = $45, 4 months = $60, etc.)
- 60-month contracts: $9/month left of the contract (3 months = $27, 4 months = $36, etc.)
- Acquired by ADT in 2019
- No contract required, but you may pay higher equipment fees and an activation fee (sign a 3-year contract to avoid these extra fees)
Below are typical functions you can control within a home security app. The included column lists those supported by the LifeShield app. Please know that to use some of the features you must have certain equipment. For example, you cannot lock/unlock doors unless you have smart locks in place that are compatible with your security system.
|Smart Plug Control|
|Lock/Unlock Smart Doors|
|View Camera Live Stream|
|Camera Controls (Pan, Tilt, Zoom)|
|View Recorded Video|
|View Doorbell Camera|
|Image Sensor Images|
|Smart Thermostat Controls|
|Garage Door Control|
|Build Your Own||SHIELD System||SECURE System||Doorbell Camera System|
|Fire Safety Sensors|
|Indoor Smart Camera|
|Outdoor Smart Camera |
|Glass Break Sensor|
- Without cameras: $19.99/month
- With cameras: $24.98/month (includes 30-day video storage)
Use this link to get the best deal we can offer from LifeShield.
Whenever I must call LifeShield, I always get the most pleasant and helpful technicians. I am not very computer savvy so the situation is always explained in terms that I understand and that enable me to correct the problem. I am enjoying my partnership with LifeShield. – Brenda, Consumer Affairs 6/14/2018
Just installed my Lifeshield system. I LOVE it. I’ve had a local company (can’t remember name) and Frontpoint for home security in the past, so this is my third rodeo. For me, being a mom, I really loved that the system came with cameras. I put one in my young son’s bedroom and two in front of both exterior doors so I would know if he tried to get outside. The app is really easy to use (I am not technical) to arm and disarm and watch the cameras. Installation was also easy. Customer service couldn’t have been more friendly when I called with questions. Highly recommend. – Carly D., Yelp 1/13/2019
My husband was laid off in July. We had to look at our bills and see how we could make some cuts. We discontinued service with LifeShield. The person we talked to was very nice and confirmed the cancellation, they would stop charging our card and send a box and shipping label to return the unit (as soon as service was discontinued the battery on the keypad exploded). We waited for the label/box… Never came… Come December what we did get was a charge to our credit card for $485.00. This charge was devastating to us… How can you not see your records and know that a label/box was never provided and charge a credit card 5 months later. Seems like a scam. We contacted the company, they provided a label (no box). We returned the equipment, but no refund. What is going on with this company. I want to resolve this issue with Lifeshield. – Ana, Consumer Affairs 2/4/2019
This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their system is complete garbage and never worked since day one but you are stuck with the contract. I can’t rate the zero stars because it’s not an option. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY – Jeff E., Yelp 4/2/2018
Get an idea of how simple the installation is for LifeShield.
LifeShield’s equipment and monitoring prices are some of the lowest in the industry. It doesn’t offer as many equipment options as its competitors, but with Z-wave integration, you can add more smart devices. Where it really lacks is in the customer service department. We’ve read many negative comments from customers regarding unhelpful representatives, slow response times and more. There are companies with better reputations that we review in our top home security systems comparison.
Is LifeShield missing something that you need in a home security provider?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.