To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
DIY home security systems are all the rage these days, but how do you know which one is the best fit for your home and lifestyle? Piper Home Security is one of the most popular self-monitored security brands, with no monthly fees and home automation features among its biggest selling points.
The newer model, Piper nv, leaves its Classic model in the dust when it comes to video quality and night vision. How does Piper stand up against the competition? Read our Piper Security reviews for the need-to-know info!
- Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- Customer Reviews
- Can You Install Piper Yourself? (Video)
- Our Final Thoughts On Piper
- Motion detection activated
- View video remotely on iOS and Android apps
- 1-year limited warranty
- Two-way audio
- Temperature, light, humidity sensor
- Easy installation
- Piper does a good job responding to Amazon reviews
- Indoor only
- Must be plugged into wall outlet for power
- Reports of some cameras malfunctioning
- Software could be improved
- No night vision and poor image quality with Piper Classic model (nv model features improvements)
The WiFi-enabled Piper alarm system offers a ton of home security and home automation features. Unlike high-end security systems that charge a monthly fee for 24/7 central station monitoring (typically starts at $30/month), if you use Piper the onus is on you to contact the police rather than the monitoring center. But, with this trade-off comes great financial savings!
Here are some of Piper Home Security System’s key features:
- Real-time text, email and phone alerts when there’s a potential risk to investigate
- Built-in 105 dB siren and motion, sound, light, temperature and humidity sensors
- HD 180-degree Piper security camera with night vision, pan, tilt and zoom
- High-grade SSL video encryption
- Z-Wave home automation: schedule and remotely control lights and appliances from the Piper app with plug-in modules, dimmers, and door/window sensors
- Battery backup
- Auto-rearms to capture multiple events
- No monthly fees or contract
Three AA batteries included in Piper cost and a 30-day money back guarantee.
Piper Classic Model
- Out of stock
- 2 Megapixel camera
- No night vision
- Series 300 Z-Wave controller for light and small appliance home automation
Piper nv Model
- 3.4 Megapixel camera
- Includes night vision
- Series 500 Z-Wave controller
Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any current reviews of Piper. It seems like the device isn’t as highly sold as it used to be, which makes us think this camera will fade out in the future. If you’ve used Piper let us know about your experience in the comments.
Yes! DIY installation is straightforward with Piper, and this product is part of a rapidly growing trend toward increased interactive security and smart home options. NextWatch forecasts that the DIY security system market will reach $1.5 billion by 2020 and Piper is currently one of the most buzzworthy companies in this space. Check out the following video to see how easy the Piper camera is to set up and use.
Piper Home Security is an excellent DIY home security option, as long as you’re okay with self-monitoring from your smartphone. We love Piper’s ease of setup and its many features that allow you to monitor and automate your home remotely. With that said, there still seem to be some connectivity issues with the Piper app, but Piper has assured customers they’re actively working on these problems.
So, how does Piper stack up against its competition? Read our Best DIY Security System to find out where Piper landed.
You think you’ll try Piper?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.