To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
First American Home Warranty (FAHW) offers budget-friendly plans that kick in 30 days after you sign the contract. They’ve been in business since 1984 and boast more than 500,000 customers. We were less than impressed with their bare bones website, which offers limited information pertaining to their benefits and other important details. But they do have some good online articles about home warranties in general. How did they fare in our review?
First American Home Warranty
- In business since 1984
- Covers 35 of the 50 states, which is more than some companies
- BBB rating: B
- Reader feedback states that they have parts replaced over an dover instead of getting a new appliance/system, which makes them go long times without their appliance/system working
- A large portion of customer reviews online are negative
- According to readers, over the phone communication with them can be lengthy and sometimes get you nowhere
- 24/7/365 availability to make service requests online or by phone
- Thousands of technicians included in their network
- No age limit for covered appliances and systems as long as they’re in working order upon contract inception
- They state they’ll replace or reimburse you for appliances and systems found beyond repair
- BBB Accredited with a B rating (on the BBB since 5/30/2000)
First American offers two plans: Basic and Premier. Their Premier Plan includes everything covered in their Basic Plan.
|Range/Oven/Cooktop||Everything in the Basic plan||Additional Refrigeration|
|Garbage Disposal||Garage Door Opener||Central Air Conditioner|
|Built-In Microwave||Electrical||Pool/Spa Equipment|
|Kitchen Refrigerator||Plumbing Stoppages|
|Instant Hot Water Dispenser||Water Heater|
|Clothes Washer||Central Vacuum System|
We’ve scoured the web to find consumer feedback. Here are some noteworthy reviews from FAHW’s own customers.
I am so very happy I chose First American Home Warranty. When you call, everything is taken care of and service is quick and staff very friendly. – Penny M., Trustpilot, 6/20/2022
I submit my claims online, and First American’s website works great. They’ll give me the name of the company and the phone number. Usually, the contractor reaches out. So far, so good. – William, Consumer Affairs, 5/24/2022
I am in California and so far we have experienced nothing but delay after delay and problems with First American. The HVAC company they dispatched 8 days later did not fix the problem. The HVAC company was inexperienced and very unprofessional. Maybe it is just CA that has bad service from First American and contractors. – Valerie G., Trustpilot, 6/17/2022
I purchased the home warranty for the last 7 years and had no claim until last month for HVAC. The company came to inspect the house and did not fix the problem. I paid an $85 trip fee for nothing. I also prepaid the premium every year and recently canceled the policy due to the house being sold. I still have 5 months left on the policy and asked for a refund. The company did not issue a refund for the rest of the policy as they claimed the reason was that I had a claim. – Cooky, Consumer Affairs, 6/3/2022
Why Is First American A Realtor’s Choice?
Check out the following video by a realtor who chooses First American Home Warranty for her clients.
First American Home Warranty: Are They Worth It?
If you’re on a tight budget, but still want to cover some of your home appliances and systems, a 1st American home warranty could be your best option. You’re not going to get the same level of customer service or coverage as you would with some other home warranty companies, but in the long run, it’s better to have some coverage than none at all. Check out our home warranty reviews to see how FAHW stacks up against its competition.Tagged With: Home Warranty, Review