To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Kangaroo stands out from the pack in that it doesn’t require a hub to use its home security system. This means you can purchase one piece of equipment, download the app and be all set to monitor the device’s activity. But can it monitor an entire home and give you peace of mind?
- Has 6 monitoring stations
- Hub free
- Excellent option for monitoring a single room
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- No long-term contract
- Broadband (WiFi) monitoring with no cellular backup
- Not the safest option for a whole home security system
- Newer so there's little customer feedback
- Few equipment options
- No BBB page
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our home security experts have reviewed over a dozen providers. Check out our best home security systems showdown to find out our top picks this year.
- Six monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Broadband (WiFi) monitoring for all plans with no cellular backup
- Customer service options: live chat, FAQs, email and phone
- No BBB rating or accreditation
- Pet Rejection Technology keeps Fido from triggering your sensors
- Kangaroo security app lets you monitor your devices while away
- One-year warranty
- Kangaroo’s professional monitoring company is C.O.P.S.
- Month-to-month agreement, no long-term contract
- Privacy – their camera has a privacy shield, and data stored in the cloud is secured with end-to-end encryption using a crypto chip (only you can unscramble the data).
We typically discuss battery backup for all of the home security companies we review. Consumers want to know how the system will perform if their home experiences a power outage. Battery backup isn’t as applicable to Kangaroo since there’s no hub and the sensors are all battery operated.
However, if the power goes out in your home, your internet goes out as well. This is where Kangaroo has a major flaw. There’s no backup to its broadband monitoring. Most security companies have cellular as a form of monitoring backup, but Kangaroo does not. So if your home experiences any disruption in its internet connection (power outage, intruder cuts the power line, internet service provider experiences issues, etc.) your system will not work during that time.
Below are functions you can control within the Kangaroo home security app. Please know that to use some of the features, you must have certain equipment. For example, you can’t view camera footage unless you have cameras in place that are compatible with your security system.
- Arm/disarm entire system or individual sensors
- View detailed event history and alerts
- View live stream
- View recorded video
- View doorbell camera
Not Supported By App
- Updated weather forecast
- Geofencing, which automatically adjusts your security and automation equipment after you’ve left a set radius of your home or “geo-fence”
- Lock/unlock doors
- Open/close garage doors
- Control thermostat
- Control and schedule lights
Below are several security kits offered by Kangaroo, but keep in mind you can purchase any individual sensor without needing the entire system. For example, if you only want to monitor your bedroom, you could purchase a motion sensor and an entry sensor without needing any other equipment.
|5-Piece Kit + Privacy Camera Bundle||8-Piece Kit||8-Piece Kit + Privacy Camera Bundle||14-Piece Kit||Front Door Security Kit|
|Siren + Keypad $69.99|
$24.99 for 2
|Motion + Entry Sensor
|Water + Climate Sensor
|Doorbell Camera $24.99||1|
Our link above applies discounts if available.
You can self-monitor your Kangaroo security system or pay to have it professionally monitored. If you want to use it primarily to monitor events, such as the opening of your liquor cabinet, or the opening of an outside door to your pool area, self-monitoring (which provides you and designated contacts with alerts) should be sufficient.
On the other hand, if you’re using it as a whole-home security system, and you want a monitoring station to dispatch fire, medical, or law enforcement in the event that there’s a break-in or a fire and you’re asleep or away, go with professional monitoring.
|Price||Free||$99/year or $10/month|
|Unlimited Number Of Devices & Users|
|Text & Voice Call Notifications|
|Amazon Alexa & Google Home Integration|
|30 Days Of Unlimited Cloud Storage (Up To 5 Cameras + Option To Add More)|
It does it job withour the noise! As designed it works to notify any motion activy detected over the network-> to the app on the phone. I pray Kangaroo DOES NOT keep the activity collected on their servers – varash, Office Depot 01/21/2020
Great DIY security that works and won’t break the bank! Oh and No Contracts! – Eric R., Facebook 2/7/2020
Very disappointed. We have had it for a week and constantly have the front door alarm going off. Can not activate the 911 feature due to fines for false alarms. Essentially we have a device that tells us there is a intrusion when there is not, cannot call authorities when we really need the help, and support wants us to self diagnose multiple times. We are heading on vacation and are without the system we were hoping to have functioning by now. Should have gone with one of the larger companies – Blake N., Facebook 2/14/2020
I have given you all the information you have requested. And all you do is just send another autogenerateded message asking for the same information but in different wording! Your app CRASHES everytime I try and open it after the initial install and load up! – Anthony M., Google Play 1/17/2020
Kangaroo’s Privacy Camera has been removed from the Kangaroo website. We’re investigating as to why.
It had a unique Privacy Mode, which enables a Privacy Shield. The Privacy Shield used PDLC glass to physically block the lens so the camera couldn’t see or hear anything. The video below has more details on it. Tech specs include:
- Two-way audio
- 1080p resolution
- 10x zoom
- Night vision
- Motion alerts
- 30-day cloud storage with Kangaroo Complete
What do you get for $20? Let’s start with what you don’t get. You don’t get video recordings or audio; only photo snapshots are sent to your phone (and the option to store in the cloud for an additional fee). Also, the resolution and picture are lower than most other cameras, it has a smaller view range, and capture options. In other words, folks, you get what you pay for.
Both the doorbell and chime are completely wireless and don’t require hard-wiring (you’ll only need a WiFi connection, batteries for the doorbell (replaceable every few years), and a power outlet for the chime). Lastly, you can mount the camera peel-and-stick adhesives (no drilling required) or using screws and the mounting bracket.
Pricing & Tech Specs
- Price: $24.99
- 480×640 images with a 60-degree field of view
- Porch Protection Plan: 365 days of recordings plus reimbursement up to $150 for stolen packages
- Operating temperature: -4°F to 60°F
- Requires three AA Batteries (included)
- Dimensions: 4.57″H x 1.97″W x 0.71″D
The Kangaroo motion+entry sensor is up to par with the latest smart home security standards and features:
- Easy Installation – easy DIY install with peel-and-stick adhesive.
- Customizable Arming (Home And Away Modes) – you can have the motion sensor alarm disabled while you’re at home, but still track and alert you to movements. When you leave the house, you can set them to sound the alarm the instant they detect motion.
- Distance And Scope – detects motion up to 20 feet (6m) away in a 110° field of view.
- Pet-Friendly – will not detect movement of pets that are 2’4″ (0.7m) or shorter in height.
- Tamper Detection – if the motion sensor is tampered with, you will be notified, even if the system is not armed.
- One-Year Warranty
- Size & Dimensions: 3.55” x 1.55” x 0.7” (90mm x 39mm x 18mm)
- Color: White
- Battery: 2 x AA batteries (included). Up to 1 year battery life.
- Operating temperature: -5°C to 50°C
What You’ll Need
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, 2.4GHz (WEP, WPA, or WPA2 encryption) compatible router.
- Mobile device with iOS 10.0 and above or Android 5.0 and above.
- Active Internet and cellular connections are required on the mobile device.
- Alarm monitoring service requires subscription.
- For indoor use only.
The Kangaroo Water + Climate sensor is best for basements, high-humidity areas, or under a sink. It can detect water, extreme changes in temperature, and humidity, and supports smart phone alerts.
- Easy Installation – Just place it on the floor or in an area of your home you’d like to monitor. Good places to monitor for potential leaks include under laundry machines, in utility closets or near plumbing pipes.
- Instant Threat Alerts – If your home is at risk for flooding, mold or freezing pipes, you’ll know instantly. The Water + Climate sensor detects leaks with just 1MM of water. It will also let you know if your humidity or temperature are at dangerous levels.
- Smart Phone Alerts – Check in on the temperature and humidity levels of your home as often as you’d like! You can even set custom ranges based on your personal preferences.
Kangaroo was co-founded by Dhruv Garg, Maximus Yaney, James Xu and Victor Meng in 2018. It’s headquartered in New York City, but has locations in Poland, China and the Philippines.
Kangaroo raised $172,800 (exceeding their goal by 345% thanks to their 863 investors) on the crowdfunding platform Republic. The minimum investment was $150, the max $300, and every investor received a $200 value security system and 1-year subscription to the Kangaroo monitoring service.
However, we don’t think of Kangaroo as a serious home security solution. The fact that there’s no cellular backup for monitoring is extremely worrying. I don’t know about you, but our WiFi goes down all the time, and experienced burglars can usually find ways to disrupt your WiFi. If either of these happens, your system will be useless.
Kangaroo is also very new to the home security space. With very little customer feedback, it has some work to do to get our seal of approval. If you want an alternative, we’d recommend reading through our home security systems reviews.
What type of space do you want to monitor? A single room or an entire home?Tagged With: Review