To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
On the hunt for a security system that doesn’t look like it’s from the 1960s? Scout Alarm has aesthetically pleasing equipment that performs well. However, it’s pretty bare bones with its features and equipment options. Does it have what you need?
- Has six monitoring stations
- 60-day returns
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- No contracts
- Door panel sensors are large and conspicuous
- Self-monitoring functionality is tied to a monthly payment plan
- No outdoor security cameras
- Only 12-hour battery backup (competitors average 24 hours)
- The hub doesn’t have two-way voice
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our home security experts have reviewed over a dozen home security providers, and in our best home security systems showdown, you can see our top three and category winners for this year.
- Six monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Broadband (internet) monitoring for all plans with cellular as a backup
- Customer service options: phone, email and FAQ
- No BBB rating or BBB page found
- Scout Alarm security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-Wave and Zigbee connectivity (wireless communication protocols) to home automation equipment
- Three-year warranty
- One of the first things consumers notice about Scout’s equipment is that it’s more stylish than the competition
- Equipment is available in white, black or walnut colors
- Scout Alarm uses RFID stickers instead of a control panel to arm and disarm the system; you can place these stickers on any item
If the power goes out in your home, battery backup will keep your Scout system on and your home protected. Scout Alarm has a 12-hour battery backup, which is shorter than the standard 24 hours in home security.
Scout Alarm sends a notification when there’s a power outage to keep you up to date on the status of your system. The backup battery is rechargeable, so once power is restored, the battery will recharge back to 12 hours, so it’s ready for any future needs.
The entire system will continue to work during a power outage unless the equipment requires a high-speed internet connection or is wired (e.g., cameras and doorbells). Door/window sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, etc., don’t require a high-speed internet connection, so they’ll work with battery backup and you’ll be informed of any triggers to these devices.
Below are functions you can control within the Scout Alarm home security app. Please know that to use some of the features, you must have certain equipment. For example, you cannot view camera footage unless you have cameras in place that are compatible with your security system.
- Arm/disarm entire system or individual sensors
- View detailed event history and alerts
- Lock/unlock doors
- View live stream
- View recorded video
- View doorbell camera
Not Supported By App
- Arm/disarm individual sensors
- Smart plug control
- Updated weather forecast
- Control thermostat
- Control and schedule lights
- Create programs/schedules
- Open/close garage door
- Geofencing, which automatically adjusts your security and automation equipment after you’ve left a set radius of your home or “geo-fence”
You can build your own system or choose one of the Scout Packs below.
|Small Pack||Large Pack||Elements Pack||Architect Pack|
|Hub – $120|
|Door Panel – $50||1||1||1||1|
|Motion Sensor – $30||1||2||1||1|
|Access Sensor – $20||2||5||4||4|
|Key Fob – $4.99||2||2||2||2|
|Yard Sign – $4.99||1||1||1||1|
|Smoke Alarm – $40||1|
|Water Sensor – $30||1|
|Smart Lock – $249||1|
|Glass Break – $50||1|
- Indoor Camera $99 | Video Doorbell $99
- Keypad $50 | Siren & Zigbee Repeater $30
- Panic Button $20
- Always On – $9.99/month self-monitoring
- Always On+ – $19.99/month professional monitoring
Scout Alarm has basic equipment options; however, your choices for expanding your system are limited compared to other companies. The equipment is unique, has a modern style, and the monitoring fees are very low.
The factors keeping it from the top, however, are its limited 12-hour battery backup, lack of two-way voice and no outdoor security cameras. Explore better options in our security systems reviews that compare more than a dozen providers.
Do you think Scout can protect your home?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.