To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Do you own an older home with systems and appliances that may begin to show their age soon? Or do you want to make sure your new home is covered for major structural defects? It could be in your best interest to consider purchasing a home warranty. There are tons of home warranty companies out there, and each offers varying coverage and levels of service. 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty (2-10 HBW for short), one of the companies better known in the market, has been around for 30 years and gets an A rating from the Better Business Bureau. Here in our review, we’ll break down what this company has to offer, its pros and cons and give you consumer feedback to help you see if 2-10 HBW is right for you.
2-10 Home Warranty
- 24/7 customer service
- 10-year new construction structural warranty that covers physical damage or defects to load-bearing parts of your new construction home including load-bearing walls and partitions, beams and girders, columns and floor and roof framing
- BBB rating: B+
- Goes into effect when other coverage runs out or expires, including manufacturer’s warranties or one-year workmanship coverage
- Covers over 6 million homes
- Customers complain that they don’t always honor the warranty agreement
- Customers not always reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses and if you are reimbursed it may take some time to get it
- Offers a 10-year home structural warranty for new homes that covers physical damage or defects to load-bearing walls and partitions, columns, beams and girders, and floor and roof framing
- Warranty holders are eligible for special pricing on Whirlpool, Amana, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air and Maytag appliances
- Network of 10,000 insured contractors
Coverage includes: Plumbing, Electrical Panel and Wiring, Refrigerator, Oven, Dishwasher, Furnace, Air Conditioner/Freon Split System, Hot Water Heater, Roof, Built-In Microwave, Disposal, Trash Compactor, Clothes Washer & Clothes Dryer
See below for a few online reviews from 2-10 HBW customers to give you a variety of experiences.
I thought that with 2-10 warranty, I’d be waiting forever for someone to come out, then even longer time for them to finally get something fixed. But, it did not turn out that way. When I reported the issue, someone was out the next business day and checked it out. And then, the repair person was here in no time and took care of it. He came in, detected the problem, knew what the solution was, ordered the part that was needed and fixed it. 2-10 was also proactive and thought ahead for me. They set up a follow up and they were gonna be calling me back if I had any other problems. I was really surprised. – Lavell, Consumer Affairs 3/7/2019
I am extremely impressed with 2-10 Home Warranty. They are very responsive, exceptionally fair, and do everything within reason to resolve your problem in a most expeditious manner. I would highly recommend 2-10 as a Home Warranty company. – Tom J., Yelp 8/29/2020
My request for my AC issues is still unresolved since April 12, 2022, until today May 27, 22. My experience with 2-10 when I first filed a claim was a wow! wonderful. They dispatched contractors immediately. The first one came and collected my payment. In the end, I was told he couldn’t get the job done. They sent a second contractor, he didn’t even spend 5 minutes. He said he cannot do the job. – Paulette, Consumer Affairs 5/27/2022
The company’s hold time to file a claim is ridiculous. I’ve been on hold now for two hours just to get a claim number to first begin the claims process.- Anonymous, BBB 6/10/2022
What Can 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty Do For You?
Check out 2-10 HBW’s video that does a great job explaining what their home warranty is all about.
Why Read The Fine Print?
Home warranty companies, in general, are notorious for being seriously knit picky about the specifics. What exactly do they cover, how much do they cover, etc.? Although your warranty may cover plumbing, microwave, electrical and more, there are often limits within each item covered. Be sure to read ALL the fine print with any home warranty before purchasing — and make sure you keep your contract handy when something breaks, so you can refer to the specifics before making that $75 or $100 service call.
Want to see how 2-10 stacks up against their competition? Read our comparison of the top home warranty companies for an in-depth comparison of over a dozen providers.Tagged With: Home Warranty, Review