To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Protection 1 (also known as Protection One) provides home security and automation equipment to help secure your home. The equipment isn’t as up-to-date as that of its competitors, but it gets the job done. They also aren’t as well-known as other home security companies, but does that mean you shouldn’t choose them? Our experts find out in our in-depth review.
- Has five monitoring stations
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa (not Google Home)
- Three-year monitoring contract required
- Live chat doesn't let you chat back and forth with a person, instead it sends an email
- Has one of the worst warranty lengths we've seen (only 90 days)
- Wireless doorbell doesn't have a camera
- Two-way voice isn't available with the basic plan
- Requires professional installation
- Cancelling early may result in owing the remaining contract balance
- No money back guarantee
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our home security experts have reviewed over a dozen home security providers, and in our best home security systems showdown, you can see our top three and category winners for this year.
- Five monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Cellular monitoring for higher-tier plans
- Customer service options: live chat (see Cons section), phone, email and FAQs
- BBB rating: A+ (and an accredited business)
- Smash Protection: if an intruder destroys the hub or keypad, the distress signal still goes through
- Protection 1 security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-Wave connectivity (a wireless communication protocol) to home automation equipment
- 90-day limited warranty
- 24-hour battery backup
- Merged with ADT back in 2016
- Early termination may result in you owing the remaining balance of the contract term
If the power goes out in your home, battery backup will keep your Protection 1 system on and your home protected. They offer a 24-hour battery backup, which is the standard in home security.
Protection 1 sends a notification when there’s a power outage to keep you up to date on the status of your system. The backup battery is rechargeable, so once power is restored, the battery will recharge back to 24 hours, so it’s ready for any future needs.
The entire system will continue to work during a power outage unless the equipment requires a high-speed internet connection (e.g., cameras). Door/window sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, etc., don’t require a high-speed internet connection, so they’ll work with battery backup and you’ll be informed of any triggers to these devices.
Below are functions you can control within the Protection 1 home security app. Please know that to use some of the features, you must have certain equipment. For example, you cannot lock/unlock doors unless you have smart locks in place that are compatible with your security system.
- Arm/disarm entire system or individual sensors
- Geofencing, which automatically adjusts your security and automation equipment after you’ve left a set radius of your home or “geo-fence”
- View detailed event history and alerts
- Lock/unlock doors (including opening/closing garage door)
- Control thermostat
- Control and schedule lights
- View live stream
- View recorded video
Not Supported By App
- Video doorbell
- Updated weather forecast
The package prices below are with a three-year contract.
|Secure||Secure +||Smart Control||Video|
|Price Per Month||$34.99||$44.99||$49.99||$54.99|
|Environmental & Life Safety|
|Monitored Fire & CO Protection|
|Camera Integrated Motion Detector|
|Web & Mobile Control|
|Energy & Home Automation|
|Image Motion Sensor|
- Indoor Camera | Outdoor Camera
- Keychain Remote | Door/Window Sensor | Motion Sensor
- Glass Break Sensor | Garage Door Controller | Image Motion Sensor
- Thermostat | Smart Switch | Smart Door Lock | Wireless Doorbell
- CO Detector | Smoke Detector | Water Sensor
- Freeze Sensor | Medical Alert Device | Fire Fighter
We chose Protection 1 after doing some research on what they had to offer compared to other alarm companies and their level of customer service after the sale. We have been a customer for many years now and I find them to be very helpful after the sale. Great customer service! – Raymond, Consumer Affairs 3/27/2019
Just moved and Protection One help us move our system to our new home. They walked us through how to set up our new system and made sure everything was working correctly. Great job and thank you for all your help. Great company and great service!!! – Floyd M.J., Trust Pilot 7/5/2019
Stay away from this company. I have been with them 10 years and we sold a lake house that we had their services. They say I have a verbal contract with them for 2 more years. They can’t give me anything to show this to me unless I get a court order. So they want me to pay 750 to cancel them. – Marilyn, Consumer Affairs 1/14/2020
This is absurd. When you call them, they claim to have an A+ rating. On here, they have one star! They’ve yanked my chain for 2 months. A problem with my system. It requires an upgrade for monitoring. They’ve had the part for 27 days. They failed to follow up with me. Since then, I’ve not been armed. I keep following up with them! They fail to show up! Then again, I’ve had 4 appointments in the past two months. Each time, they’ve failed to notify me as to when they are coming. At the end of the 4 hour window, they’ve attempted to reschedule me. I can’t do business with this company anymore. A technician gave me the local office number…no courtesy of a call back. I’m ready to publicize this. Where do I go? – 39yearcustomer, BBB 12/30/2019
Protection 1 isn’t our first pick for a home security provider. It charges additional fees for options like two-way voice that others offer in their base packages. It has an extremely short warranty period of only 90 days (most competitors offer at least one year), and the equipment is pretty outdated looking. You can get a less expensive home security system with more current technology from one of the top-ranking companies we review.
Would you trust Protection 1 for your home’s security?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.