When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Here’s how it works.
SimpliSafe is known for its affordable, user-friendly DIY security systems, but it also offers security cameras that you can purchase without a full home security system.
SimpliSafe’s Wi-Fi indoor camera (aka SimpliCam) is a popular option, and we wanted to see how it stands up to SimpliSafe’s other equipment—and other WiFi cameras on the market. Are SimpliSafe cameras reliable and do they have all the features you want?
SimpliSafe Indoor Camera Review 0.00
Product Name: SimpliCam
Product Description: SimpliSafe's SimpliCam is an indoor, wired 720p HD security camera offering motion detection, live viewing, and two-way audio.
The SimpliCam by SimpliSafe is standalone camera with easy, DIY installation. The SimpliCam gets dinged for a 720p HD resolution; our standard is 1080p resolution. While we found the detection features to be lacking compared to other security cameras on the market, we appreciate SimpliSafe’s commitment to privacy protection. The SimpliCam features a privacy shutter to protect you in the event that your camera gets hacked.
Ease Of Use
- Easy to set up and use
- Free motion alerts and live viewing 24/7
- Infrared night vision
- Two-way audio
- Smart motion detection (detects heat signatures from humans)
- Privacy shutter that physically covers the lens
- Compatible with SimpliSafe security system, August Smart Lock, Nest thermostat, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- 720p video resolution (lower than 4K or 1080p)
- No pan and tilt
- Expensive relative to other basic indoor security cameras
- Monthly fee required for recording and clip storage
- Designed for indoor use only
This is the aggregate score of reader reviews we’ve received. Have a good or bad experience with the SimpliSafe SimpliCam? Feel free to leave your own review in the comments. Please note that only ratings with valid review content will be published and counted.
5 Key Features
- 720p HD video resolution, infrared night video, 120° field of view
- PIR motion sensor to detect movement from humans or pets
- Privacy shutter for added privacy control
- Integrates with SimpliSafe Security System
- Professional monitoring available for additional cost
- $99 for SimpliCam
Cloud Storage & Recording
- $4.99 per month for cloud storage plan (gives you recording capability*, 60-second motion-triggered recording, and 30-day storage)
*Your camera will record if you have an integrated SimpliSafe security system with a monitoring plan (the $24.99/month monitoring plan gives you unlimited camera recording).
Our link above applies discounts if available.
- Dimensions: 4.56″ x 2.55″ x 2.08″
- Operating Temperature: 14°F to 104°F
- Weight: 0.33 lbs
- Video Quality: 720p
- Field Of View: 120°
- 1 year limited warranty
Our experts also review the SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro. Does this camera live up to the quality and ease of setup you’ll find with SimpliSafe’s other equipment? And how does it stack up against other doorbell cameras? Learn that, plus technical specifications, help with installation, and real user feedback in our expert coverage.
Yes, SimpliSafe’s Outdoor Camera includes person detection, color night vision, and a built-in siren. This battery-powered camera has DIY installation and features 1080p HD video resolution. SimpliSafe prices its outdoor camera at $169.99, $70 more than its indoor camera.
All of SimpliSafe’s equipment is designed for easy installation and setup. Here are the steps for the SimpliCam.
- Remove the cap on the micro-USB cord and slide it through the base.
- Insert the micro-USB into the port on the back of the camera (you should feel a click).
- Slide the camera back onto the base and plug it in.
- Download the SimpliSafe app (Android App | iOS App) on your smartphone. (Current users: go to “Set Up Product” in the app menu.)
- Log into your account using your SimpliSafe username (the email that you gave them at the time of purchase) and your password.
- Tap the three-bar ≡ menu icon on the top left, and select “Cameras.”
- If you don’t have any cameras installed yet, you’ll see an “Install Camera” button. Tap it to get started. If you have another camera installed already, tap the ⚙ Gear icon, then “Add New Camera.”
- Name your camera (under 14 characters).
- If your phone is currently connected to your home WiFi, that network will be automatically selected. Otherwise, you can select another network. Type in your WiFi password.
- Tap “Get Your Code.” You’ll be shown a QR Code (a square barcode). Hold your phone in front of the camera, about 12″ away, so that it can scan the code.
- Once code scans, the camera will attempt to connect to WiFi. You’ll know that it’s connected when the “Connected” message pops up on the app.
Here’s a link to the quick installation guide for the SimpliSafe camera, and here’s a short video showing everything we’ve laid out above.
Many consumers praised the easy, DIY installation of the SimpliCam. At $99, this camera won’t break the bank and will give you the basic features of a home security camera. Unfortunately, this camera lacks facial recognition and other smart detection features.
Camera was really easy to setup and get it connected. Just remember that it has to be connected to 2.5Ghz network. Picture quality is really good at 720p. Definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a camera for their Simplisafe system. – KevO, Best Buy 8/2020
Product works very well. Video and sound quality is excellent. Integrated well with the rest of my Simplisafe security system. I purchased the weather proof exterior housing from Simplisafe for $20 for exterior recordings. – Nick, Best Buy 7/2020
I find this camera just all around difficult to set up. I guess it would be ok if it stayed plugged in all the time but we bought it to take with us when we go on vacations for our little one. It is not easy to set up and connect. Seems to lose connection a lot compared to other camera I have owned. – BPpdx, Best Buy 8/29/2020
Bought it because of the SimpliSafe system, but I think the camera is their biggest weakness. It’s not 1080p; it’s not wireless; and it’s not battery powered. It’s always corded. Also, the set up was a little finicky with one of the two I got and took awhile. But after the set up it seems to work fine so far. – marcusaurelia, Best Buy 7/2020
The SimpliCam is a part of SimpliSafe’s extensive lineup of reliable, high-quality equipment and monitoring. If you’re only interested in an indoor camera, you do have some slightly more affordable options that will give you 1080p resolution and other features you don’t get with SimpliCam. But many customers say the video quality of SimpliCam is quite good for a 720dp camera and that it’s very reliable.
If you already have a SimpliSafe security system, the SimpliCam makes a great addition and integrates seamlessly with other equipment. If you’re considering getting a system, you can learn more about SimpliSafe’s home security features in our comprehensive review to see if their DIY equipment and monitoring options are a good fit for your needs.
Are you leaning towards trying the SimpliCam? Let us know in the comments!Tagged With: Review, SimpliSafe