To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Are you shopping around for travel insurance for your next big trip? TravelSafe Insurance is one of the industry’s big-name companies, but just what do you get with TravelSafe? Will this provider give you the reliable coverage you need, or are their policies a potential pitfall?
- Rating, Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- Policy Benefit Limits
- Why Do I Need Travel Insurance? (Video)
- Our Final Verdict On TravelSafe
- Full trip cancellation and interruption coverage
- Good flexibility with a variety of add-ons
- Good medical expenses coverage at $100,000 per person for highest plan
- Pre-existing medical condition coverage available for conditions within 60 days before trip
- Can file and check claim through website
- Missed connection coverage
- AD&D flight-only coverage is an added fee, but you get $25,000 per person 24-hour AD&D coverage
- No itinerary change coverage
- Some complaints about poor customer service
- In business since 1971
- Offers 2 comprehensive travel insurance plans
- Among the best lost luggage and missed connection benefits in the industry
- Optional extended personal property coverage for electronics and sports equipment
- 24-hour concierge and travel assistance services
- 24-hour emergency medical hotline
- Excellent website resources
- Long-term medical travel insurance available: up to 364 days of coverage and renew up to three years
- Group travel insurance for 10 or more
- Parent company is BBB accredited with A+ rating
Here’s a comparison of TravelSafe’s major benefit limits per plan. You can upgrade their Classic Plan to include cancel for any reason coverage; otherwise, the Classic and Classic Plus plans are the same. Note: You must purchase cancel for any reason benefits within 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.
The following benefit limits are per person.
Refer to our terminology section to get definitions and more details on benefits.
|Trip Cancellation||Trip Cost||Trip Cost|
|Trip Interruption||Trip Cost||150% of Trip Cost|
|Total Trip/Travel Delay||$500||$750|
|Travel Delay Per Day||$100||$150|
|Minimum Delay Time||6 Hours||6 Hours|
|Emergency Accident & Sickness Medical Expenses (Primary)||$35,000||$100,000|
|Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Waiver||Not Included||Available*|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation & Return of Remains||$100,000||$1 Million|
|Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation||Not Included||$25,000|
|Accidental Death & Dismemberment||Not Included||$25,000|
|Minimum Delay Time||12 Hours||12 Hours|
* To qualify for a pre-existing medical condition waiver, you must purchase your plan within 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.
Personally, whenever I travel, I always purchase TravelSafe cancel for any reason coverage. In March 2019, I had to cancel a trip due to a reason that’s normally not covered by travel insurance. Cancel for any reason helped me recoup 75% of the cost. I also found the claims process to be straightforward and hassle-free. – Neil G.
Pricing varies widely depending on where you’re traveling, the traveler’s age, your state of residence and other factors.
Sample pricing below is based on an insurance policy for two adults, ages 40 and 45, who reside in Virginia, are traveling to Greece for one week, and paying a total of $8,000 for the vacation cost. Pricing is the cost for both travelers (not per person).
- $322 Basic Plan
- $420 Classic Plan (+$190 for cancel for any reason add-on)
Not sure that you even need travel insurance? Check out the brief video below to see some typical examples when having travel insurance can pay off.
We highly recommend TravelSafe Insurance for their comprehensive coverage rates, long-standing reputation, and excellent customer support and travel services. And if you want to add on cancel for any reason coverage, TravelSafe is a great value compared to many other providers.
If you want to compare TravelSafe to other travel insurance companies, be sure to read our travel insurance comparison. We give you pros and cons, key features, a handy comparison table, and much more for ten of the top providers.