To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
If you’re shopping around for the best travel insurance, you’ve likely come across USI Affinity Travel Insurance Services. How does this 40-year-old travel insurance company (that still maintains a stellar reputation) stack up against its newer competitors? We give you an in-depth review, including detailed policy benefits, pros and cons, pricing, and much more.
- Rating, Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- Policy Benefit Limits
- Why Do I Need Travel Insurance? (Video)
- Our Final Verdict On USI Affinity Travel Insurance
USI Affinity Travel Insurance
- Full trip cancellation and interruption coverage
- Higher than average medical coverage at $150,000 per person
- Good AD&D coverage at $50,000 per person
- Good pre-existing medical condition coverage available for conditions within 60 days before trip
- Rental car damage coverage included in Plus and Elite plans
- Missed connection coverage included
- Trip interruption for any reason add-on available
- Largely positive reviews for their customer service and claims process
- Very expensive mid and high-level plans
- No itinerary change or flight-only AD&D coverage
- Can’t file or check claim through website
- Excellent reputation for 40+ years
- BBB accredited rating: A+
- Provides three comprehensive travel insurance plans
- Rental car damage and sports equipment rental coverage included
- Add-on for trip interruption for any reason (most companies don’t offer this benefit)
- 24-hour concierge and travel assistance services
- Group travel insurance available
- 15-day policy cancellation
Here’s a comparison of USI Affinity’s major benefit limits for each of its three comprehensive plans. Note: You must purchase cancel for any reason benefits within 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.
The following benefit limits are per person.
Refer to the terminology section in our main travel insurance review to get definitions and more details on benefits.
|Trip Cancellation||Trip Cost||Trip Cost||Trip Cost|
|Trip Interruption||100% Trip Cost||125% Trip Cost||150% Trip Cost|
|Total Trip/Travel Delay||$500||$1,000||$1,500|
|Travel Delay Per Day||$100||$200||$250|
|Minimum Travel Delay Time||12 Hours||12 Hours||12 Hours|
|Lost Baggage Total||$500||$1,000||$2,500|
|Lost Baggage Per Item||$250||$250||$500|
|Minimum Baggage Delay Time||12 Hours||12 Hours||12 Hours|
|Sports Equipment Rental||Not Included||$750||$1,500|
|Emergency Accident & Sickness Medical Expenses||$50,000||$100,000||$150,000|
|Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Waiver||Not Included||Available*||Available*|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation & Return of Remains||$100,000||$500,000||$1 Million|
|Search & Rescue||Not Included||Not Included||$5,000|
|Accidental Death & Dismemberment||Not Included||$25,000||$50,000|
|Rental Car Damage||Not Included||$25,000||$35,000|
|Cancel/Interrupt For Any Reason (Optional Added Fee)||Not Available||Not Available||75% Trip Cost|
* To qualify for a pre-existing medical condition waiver, you must purchase your plan within 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.
Pricing varies widely depending on the destination location, state of residence, travelers’ age, and other factors.
Sample pricing below is based on an insurance policy for two adults, ages 40 and 45, who reside in Virginia, are traveling to Greece for one week, and paying a total of $8,000 for the vacation cost. Pricing is the cost for both travelers (not per person).
- $440 Basic Plan
- $660 Plus Plan
- $742.40 Elite Plan (add-on pricing unlisted)
Check out the video below by the U.S. Travel Insurance Association to see a common misconception about travel insurance and why you should consider coverage.
For more than 40 years, USI Affinity has maintained an excellent reputation for reliable coverage and helpful customer service. They offer competitive payouts for most benefits and some perks in their higher plans, including rental car damage and sports equipment rental coverage. The company also offers a rare add-on for trip interruption for any reason benefit.
USI Affinity’s higher plans are among the most expensive we’ve seen and pricier than companies that provide comparable payouts. Also, if you want the convenience of filing a claim online, you’re out of luck with USI. They’re one of a dwindling number of companies that don’t offer online filing. Given their reputation, however, we still advise taking a closer look at USI Affinity.
How does USI Affinity compare to other travel insurance companies? Read our travel insurance reviews, where we give you pros and cons, key features, a handy comparison table, and more for over 10 of the top travel insurance providers.Tagged With: Insurance, Review