To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
ADT has finally embraced a DIY home security system. After being in business for almost 150 years, ADT acquired LifeShield in 2019 to offer a DIY system for those who don’t want to hassle with professional installation.
Now you don’t have to worry about installation fees, missing work to be home for the installer to arrive, or given that there’s a pandemic, welcoming a stranger into your home. That’s because it’s easy to setup your Blue by ADT system yourself, and we’ll show you just how easy.
But is Blue as good as other DIY home security systems? And with the fairly new acquisition, are you getting more ADT or more LifeShield, and is either of those a good thing? Our experts find out in our Blue By ADT review.
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our home security experts have reviewed over a dozen home security providers, and in our best home security systems showdown, you can see our top three and category winners for this year.
- Originally known as LifeShield, Blue was acquired by ADT in 2019
- LifeShield home security equipment was rebranded as Blue By ADT and ADT cameras were integrated
- Three monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Broadband (internet) monitoring with cellular as a backup (suggests having a landline connection as well for three-way monitoring)
- Customer service options: phone, email and FAQs
- BBB rating: A+ (accredited)
- Smash & Crash Protection: if an intruder destroys the hub or keypad, the distress signal still goes through
- Blue by ADT security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-Wave connectivity (a wireless communication protocol) to home automation equipment
- One-year warranty (many competitors offer a lifetime warranty)
- No cancellation fees since there are no contracts
- Higher equipment fees
If the power goes out in your home, battery backup will keep your Blue by ADT system on and your home protected. Blue by ADT has a 24-hour battery backup, which is the standard in home security.
Below are functions you can control within the Blue by ADT home security app. Please know that to use some of the features you must have certain equipment.
For example, you cannot view camera footage unless you have cameras in place that are compatible with your security system.
- Arm/disarm entire system
- View detailed event history and alerts
- Lock/unlock doors (including opening/closing garage door)
- Control thermostat
- Control appliances plugged into a smart plug
- Remote control cameras
- View live stream
- View recorded video
- View doorbell camera
Not Supported By App
- Geofencing, which automatically adjusts your security and automation equipment after you’ve left a set radius of your home or “geo-fence”
- Updated weather forecast
- Create programs/schedules
|Security System Package Name||Build Your Own||11-Piece System||15-Piece Camera System||Blue Doorbell Camera System|
|Fire Safety Sensors|
|Blue Indoor Camera|
|Blue Doorbell Camera|
|Window Stickers (4 Pack)|
Below is a list of additional equipment offered by Blue by ADT.
- HD Video Doorbell $199.99
- Cameras (Indoor $59.99; Blue Outdoor $199.99; Outdoor $149.99)
- Glass Break Sensor $20.99 | Range Extender + Chime $49.99
- Temperature/Flood Sensor $29.99
- Self-Monitoring: Free
- Includes 24 hours of media storage
- Professional Monitoring: First month free, then $19.99/month
- Includes 30 days of media storage
Our link above applies discounts if available.
I was ready to cancel my order however after speaking to (name redacted) I was walked through setting up my system and will definitely keep it. He provided great customer service.Kierra, Trust Pilot 2/12/2020
(Name redacted) took the time to fully understand our situation and ensure we had all the proper pieces in place. She was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and committed to ensuring that we were set up for success.Katie F., Trust Pilot 2/8/2020
Lifeshield and Adt can’t get their shanaagans together. Both billing me after move. Adt had no new address when they set it up. No one to help at home with installation unless a charge. Then sent me a $1,000 bill for service contact broke. Ummmm. I moved and called Adt for the move. How was that breaking a contract that I have had for 3 1/2 years. Then the next bill was better, now $500.for my broken contract. This was after talking to 2 customer representatives about the bill that is now over 60 days late. 😳 So as much as I use to love Adt, I am done with this head ache. Oh the best part is I have Adt reps calling me now to see if they can sell me a system. Ummmm. Do they not see I Already have Life Shield back in November. Harrassing calls at work are the best.Tessa R., Trust Pilot 2/13/2020
The system is constantly going down and according to Technical Support is due to my internet connections, even though the router is right next to equipment. I called Technical Support several time and they keep on telling me that the issue is due to my internet connection. I requested to speak with a Supervisor and the rep told me that the Supervisor will call me within 24 hours. It’s been weeks and I have not heard from anybody and my system keep on going down. I cannot return it even though is useless. Piece of crap system and the technical support team is useless.Ricardo A., Trust Pilot 2/10/2020
Get an idea of how the installation for Blue by ADT works.
Blue by ADT’s monitoring prices are some of the lowest in the industry. It doesn’t offer as many equipment options as its competitors, but with Z-Wave and IFTTT (If This Then That) integration, you can add more smart devices.
Where our hesitation lies with ADT is its reputation for unpredictable customer service since their professionally installed systems rely on authorized dealers. Some buyers have a great experience, while others loathe it. Since ADT is new to the DIY space, it’s too soon to know how things will shake out from the acquisition, so our experts are keeping an eye on them.
The good news for you is that there are more established companies with better reputations that our experts cover in our home security systems reviews.Tagged With: ADT, Review