To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Brinks is known for its armored car transportation services, but did you know it now offers a home security system? Can a company that specializes in transporting valuables also be successful at securing homes?
Brinks Home Security
- 30-day risk-free trial
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home
- Self-installation (professional available for $199)
- Z-wave and Zigbee connectivity (most competitors only connect to one)
- Only one monitoring station (and not third-party)
- Three-year contract required
- Self-installation cannot be done independently (requires a technician to walk you through the process over the phone)
- You must pay 100% of the contract amount, even if you cancel
- Only eight-hour battery backup (standard is 24 hours)
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our home security experts have reviewed over a dozen providers. Check out our best home security systems showdown to find out our top picks this year.
- Only a single monitoring station and it’s done in-house, which we don’t recommend*
- Broadband monitoring for all plans with cellular as a backup
- Customer service options: live chat, phone, email and FAQs
- BBB rating: A+
- Pet-friendly motion sensors ignore the motion of pets under 40 pounds
- Trigger protection: notifies you if someone tries to destroy your panel
- Brinks Home Security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-Wave and Zigbee connectivity (wireless communication protocols) to home automation equipment
- Only a two-year warranty (some competitors offer lifetime warranties)
- 30-second average alarm notification speed
- Provides monitoring for Nest Secure
*Why Do We Recommend More Than One Monitoring Station?
Monitoring stations can experience power outages and natural disasters, just like our homes. If a monitoring station loses power, the alarm calls need to be routed to a different station to ensure that help arrives at your door. So, with only a single monitoring station, there is no redundancy/backup which we consider a security risk.
If the power goes out in your home, battery backup will keep your Brinks system on and your home protected. However, Brinks’ battery backup only lasts eight hours, which is drastically less than the standard 24 hours most home security companies have.
Brinks doesn’t alert you of a power outage, but you can set up a notification if you have an Alarm.com account (go to the Notifications tab). Learn more about Alarm.com.
The entire system will continue to work during a power outage unless the equipment requires a high-speed internet connection (e.g., cameras). Door/window sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, etc., don’t require a high-speed internet connection, so they’ll work with battery backup and you’ll be informed of any triggers to these devices.
The backup battery is rechargeable, so once power is restored, the battery will recharge back to 8 hours, so it’s ready for any future needs. It takes around 24 hours for the battery to fully recharge and get rid of the low battery signal on your panel.
Brinks’ 8-hour battery backup is among the worst we’ve seen. When the majority of competitors are offering 24-hour battery backup, it becomes a standard that we look for in a home security system.
Below are functions you can control within the Brinks home security app. Please know that to use some of the features you must have certain equipment. For example, you cannot lock/unlock doors unless you have smart locks in place that are compatible with your security system.
- Arm/disarm entire system or individual sensors
- Geofencing, which automatically adjusts your security and automation equipment after you’ve left a set radius of your home or “geo-fence”
- View detailed event history and alerts
- Updated weather forecast
- Lock/unlock doors (including opening/closing garage door)
- Control thermostat
- Control lights (no scheduling)
- View live stream
- View recorded video
- View doorbell camera
You can call Brinks Home Security and customize any of the plans below. You can reach Brinks at 866-980-4553, and don’t forget to mention Security Systems Reviews as our members typically get the best offer available.
|Smart Security Essential||Smart Security Complete||Smart Security Ultimate||Nest Secure*|
|Monitoring Price Per Month||$39||$39||$39||$29|
|SkyBell Slim Line Video Doorbell
|Nest Guard (Base Station)|
|Nest Detect (Door/Window & Motion Sensor)
|Nest Tag (Key Fob)
|Contract||3 Years||3 Years||3 Years||None|
*Nest Secure is a separate home security system that’s monitored through Brinks. If you prefer to use Nest’s equipment, you can purchase it through Brinks and get professional monitoring as well.
Below is optional add-on equipment by other manufacturers that is compatible with your Brinks security system.
- IQ Garage Door Tilt Sensor $39 | Glass Break Detector $79 | Keychain Remote $29
- GE Keypads (Bi-Directional $112 | Touchscreen $160)
- GE Z-Wave (Plug-In Module $79 | In-Wall Dimmer $59) | Smart Switch $79
- GE Z-Wave (Outdoor Module $59 | Wall Receptacle $59)
- FireFighter* $99 | IQ (CO Detector $79 | Flood Detector $49)
- IQ Smoke Detector $89 | GE Water/Flood Sensor $49 | Freeze Sensor $49
*FireFighter monitors the existing UL smoke detectors within your home and contacts the central monitoring station when it detects a smoke alarm.
Most consumers install their Brinks security system themselves because it’s a simple DIY setup. However, you can purchase professional installation for $199 if you’d prefer to have someone else do it for you.
I’ve had ADT, Vivant, and Protect America-Very Misleading Practices I’m 100% satisfied with Brinks Home Security. – Grant H., BBB 4/1/2020
Helped us replace video door bell. Problem free!!! Stepped right up to the plate, made an even exchange, provided shipping label, return postage. YAY Brinks Home Security!!! – Rob M., Yelp 9/21/2019
Not only the most difficult of company to work with on an old existing Monitronic;s account but are hard for money and harass you to no end! sent us bills for months after we had cancelled our services with Monitronic’s due to a move. Have taken us to collections twice on the same account that has in good faith been paid for twice and after 2 years of dispute and after payment sent a derogatory claim to the credit bureau’s! Most useless of all customer service representatives and will NEVER recommend BRINKS Home security to anyone! – Daleen M., BBB 5/12/2020
This is one of the more expensive security monitoring companies and their customer service is TERRIBLE!!! It is difficult to get help and when help is provided it is not done appropriately. I will never use this company again – Jenna A., Yelp 5/15/2020
Just like you don’t want to get locked into a multi-year contract with your television provider, it can be helpful to know how to cancel a service before you sign up (or, if you’re already signed on with Brinks and want out). While it’s not as easy as returning an unopened yogurt container to the fridge, it’s way easier than terminating your cell phone contract. Read our guide on how to cancel Brinks for the 411.
The Brink’s City Express was founded in 1859 and started out as a small delivery business. Perry Brink drove a horse-drawn wagon to deliver luggage from Chicago trains to hotels for passengers.
In 1934, it underwent a name change to Brink’s Incorporated. From 1934 to 2002, the company experienced several robberies, the loss of many key members and the sale of company shares.
In 2009, Brink’s separated its home security division and rebranded it as Broadview Security. Tyco International, Ltd., the company that owns ADT, purchased Brinks Home Security for $2 billion with intentions on merging the two companies.
Since the acquisition, ADT absorbed Broadview Home Security, which added 1.3 million customers to ADT.
In 2018, Brinks licensed the name Brinks Home Security to a Dallas security company, MONI (previously known as Monitronics). Monitronics was second to only ADT in the mid 2010s and during that time, it acquired Security Networks and Livewatch (formerly Safemart).
Brinks Home Security offers the basics that most people look for in a home security system. It offers equipment that you can count on but requires a three-year contract and only offers protection from a single monitoring station that’s in-house.
Can you get better and more affordable monitoring coverage from competitors? See how Brinks compares against other home security companies our experts have reviewed.
Do you think Brinks has what it takes to secure your home?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.