To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Canary is an all-in-one device that can monitor a space in your home. Unlike some all-in-one devices that only monitor your home with video, however, Canary can also monitor temperature, air quality and humidity.
But does this make it the most capable as a security system for giving you added peace of mind? Or is it best suited for specific uses?
- Great customer service, according to online reviews we’ve read
- Ability to add emergency contacts
- Air quality, temperature and humidity sensor (Canary All-In-One only)
- 60-day money-back guarantee and 1-year product warranty
- Canary Flex can be used outdoors
- Can only connect up to 4 devices on the free membership plan
- Some users report lag
- Flex and View do not monitor air quality and have no siren
- Must subscribe to Premium Service for two-way talk
- One of the only security cameras on the market to monitor air quality, temperature and humidity (Pro only)
- Button to summon emergency personnel (View only)
- No professional monitoring option, self-monitoring only
- No contracts
- DIY setup
Canary Pro and Canary View lack battery backup. This is a pretty big flaw since both require power via a wall outlet. So if the power goes out or they get unplugged, they won’t work.
Canary Flex, on the other hand, can be plugged in or used wire-free with a rechargeable battery.
Below are functions you can control within the Canary home security app.
- Arm/disarm system
- View detailed event history and alerts
- Remote control cameras, including pan/tilt/zoom
- View live stream
- View recorded video
Not Supported By App
- Geofencing, which automatically adjusts your security and automation equipment after you’ve left a set radius of your home or “geo-fence”
- Lock/unlock doors (including opening/closing garage door)
- Control thermostat
- Control and schedule lights
- Control appliances plugged into a smart plug
- View doorbell camera
|Canary Pro (All-In-One)||Canary View||Canary Flex|
|Field Of View||147°||147°||116°|
|Monitor Air Quality, Temperature & Humidity|
|Power||Plugin||Plugin||Wire-Free or Plugin|
|One Tap Access To Police, Fire & EMS|
|Operating Temperature||N/A||N/A||-4° to 113°F|
|Two Way Talk||With Premium Service||With Premium Service||With Premium Service|
|Colors||Black, White||Black, Graphite||Black, White|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year|
- Free Access: 24-hour storage of 10-second video previews for up to four devices
- Premium Service: 30-day storage of full-length videos for $9.99/month or $99/year for up to five devices
This security device is excellent! Easy set up. Great value. If anyone is reading… It would be helpful if Canary had a test mode. I would like to hear the siren, so I know what it sounds like before an emergency. Highly recommend this product! – Montana, Walmart.com 3/13/2020 (Pro)
I bought two of these to add to my canary pro. I have one indoors and outdoors. So far, they have left me feeling secure! – VFLOW, Best Buy 5/25/2020 (Flex)
Big delaw, not able to use all features with out a subscription, when it clearly says, DON’T NEED SUBSCRIPTION on the box. Still works for live feed, so I kept it. – Babyspin, Walmart.com 3/29/2020 (Pro)
i am disappointed on this camera. battery problem,in just 2 days need to charge the camera – Connie, Best Buy 6/1/2020 (Flex)
See how the Canary Flex works and if it’s a good option for your home.
Canary is missing some key components that we feel would make it a more complete setup (e.g., door/window sensors, motion sensors, etc.). And we aren’t big fans of each Canary device including a camera. Not everyone wants the inside of their home video monitored, especially when cameras today are getting hacked.
Canary is probably best suited for studio apartments because of its wide angle coverage, allowing you to get the majority of the apartment within view of one Canary device. It’s also a good option for those who want a way to check in on an elderly loved one or someone with a medical condition. Just make sure you have login access to the device, so you can check air quality and motion history to make sure everything appears okay.
Looking for a more comprehensive home security solution? Our experts have reviewed the best home security systems.
You think Canary might work for your home security needs?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.