To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
|Compare All Companies|
Let’s review the home security companies that didn’t make the cut in our main home security comparison (and for your convenience, our top 3 is included to the right). Below are our reviews of the remaining home security companies requested by our readers:
Before we jump into our company reviews, we suggest you familiarize yourself with our review criteria:
- Customer Service
- Ease Of Use
To learn more about some of the features we include in our reviews and why they’re important, jump to our terminology section.
Abode has a fair number of equipment options, but its app is pretty basic. It only offers a 1-year equipment warranty and 6-7 hours of battery backup. It’s also missing 2-way voice and has only 1 monitoring station. However, if you’re looking for a self-monitoring option with basic equipment, Abode is a solid choice.
- Starter Kit (1 Gateway, 1 mini door/window sensor, 1 keyfob and 1 motion sensor): $199.00
- Door/window sensor: $29.00
- Mini door/window sensor: $35.00
- Recessed door sensor: $40.00
- Glass break sensor: $36.00
- Acoustic glass break sensor: $59.00
- Indoor siren: $59.00
- Outdoor siren w/ strobe: $79.00
- Water leak sensor: $59.00
- Occupancy sensor: Check on Amazon
- Temperature, humidity, light sensor: Out of stock
- Smoke alarm monitor: $54.00
- Wireless keypad: Out of stock
- Yard sign w/ solar light: $24.00
Abode offers more equipment on its website. However, we suggest checking Amazon prices before purchasing on the website because they are often lower than the MSRP (manufacturer’s suggested retail price).
- Basic: Free self-monitoring and 3-days of media storage
- Connect: $10/month for cellular backup and 14-days of media storage
- Secure: $20/month for professional monitoring and cellular backup
Use this link to get the best deal we can offer from Abode.
LifeShield offers a month-to-month monitoring service option, but that may result in higher equipment fees and an activation fee. It only has a 1-year equipment warranty (inferior to the standard lifetime warranty offered by most competitors), but it offers a low monthly monitoring prices (less than $25 per month). If you want a less expensive monthly fee and are okay with the trade-offs, LifeShield may be worth considering.
*For a 3-year contract, you must pay $15/month left of the contract (2 months = $30, 3 months = $45, etc.). For a 5-year contract, you must pay $9/month remaining in the contract.
|Build Your Own||SHIELD System||SECURE System||Doorbell Camera System|
|Fire Safety Sensors|
|Indoor Smart Camera|
|Outdoor Smart Camera |
|Glass Break Sensor|
- Without cameras: $19.99/month
- With cameras: $24.98/month (includes 30-day video storage)
Use this link to get the best deal we can offer from LifeShield.
Protection One (aka Protection 1) has outdated looking equipment compared to other home security companies, which may lead you to question its functionality as well. The equipment warranty length is only 90 days, and you have to upgrade plans to get basic features that others offer in their base packages. Protection One isn’t quite up to par with what we expect from a home security company.
The package prices below are with a 3-year contract. Protection One does not state exactly what equipment is included with each of its plans. So, if you are considering them, be sure to ask a lot of clarifying questions before you sign up.
|Secure||Secure +||Smart Control||Video|
|Price Per Month||$34.99||$44.99||$49.99||$54.99|
|Environmental & Life Safety|
|Monitored Fire & CO Protection|
|Camera Integrated Motion Detector|
|Web & Mobile Control|
|Energy & Home Automation|
|Image Motion Sensor|
Additional equipment options include:
- Keychain Remote
- Door/Window Sensor
- Motion Sensor
- Indoor Camera
- Outdoor Camera
- CO Detector
- Smoke Detector
- Water Sensor
- Freeze Sensor
- Glass Break Sensor
- Smart Switch
- Smart Door Lock
- Garage Door Controller
- Medical Alert Device
- Wireless Doorbell
- Fire Fighter
- Image Motion Sensor
Use this link to get the best deal we can offer from Protection One.
Most of Scout Alarm’s equipment has a contemporary design and you can even choose the color. But, the sensors are rather bulky. It doesn’t offer an extensive list of equipment options, and the technology isn’t as advanced as its competitors.
- Scout Hub (1 required) – $120
- Door Panel (each comes with 1 RFID sticker and 2 key fobs) – $50
- Access Sensor – $20
- Motion Sensor – $30
- Indoor Camera – $99
- Smoke & CO Detector – $50
- Glass Break Sensor – $50
- Water Sensor – $30
- Door Lock – $229
- Key Fob – $4.99
- Video Doorbell – $99
- Always On – $9.99/month self-monitoring
- Always On+ – $19.99/month professional monitoring
Use this link to get the best deal we can offer from Scout Alarm.
If there are any terms that you don’t understand, we have a terminology section below the table.
|1st: Frontpoint||2nd: Protect America||3rd: SimpliSafe||Most Customizable: Link Interactive||Professional Installation: ADT||Best Home Automation: Vivint||Abode||LifeShield||Protection One||Scout Alarm|
|Equipment Starting Cost||$255.96||$0||$229||Customizable||$0||$599.99||$199||$109.19||N/A||$229|
|Pro Monitoring Monthly Starting Cost||$44.99||$21.19||$14.99||$30.99||$27.99||$10||$20||$19.99||$34.99||$19.99|
|Contract Length||None||3 Years||None||1-3 Years||3 Years||3.5-5 Years||None||None or 3 Years||3 Years||None|
|Installation||DIY||DIY||DIY||DIY||Professional||Professional||DIY||DIY or Professional||Professional||DIY|
|Installation Fee||$0||$0||$0||$0||$99-$199||$49-$199||$0||$0 or Varies||$99||$0|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 Days||15 Days||60 Days||30 Days||6 Months||None||30 Days||30 Days||N/A||60 Days|
|Warranty||3 Years||Lifetime||3 Years||3 Years||Lifetime (Must Pay Additional $)||120 Days||1 Year||1 Year||90 Days||3 Years|
|Battery Backup||24 Hours||18-24 Hours||24 Hours||8 or 24 Hours||24 Hours||4 Hours||6-7 Hours||24 Hours||24 Hours||12 Hours|
|Self Monitoring Option|
|Third Party Monitoring|
|Main Form Of Monitoring||Cellular||Landline, Broadband & Cellular||Cellular||Cellular||Landline & Cellular||Cellular||Broadband||Broadband||Landline & Cellular||Broadband|
|Backup Form Of Monitoring||Broadband||None||Broadband||Broadband||Cellular||Broadband||Cellular||Landline & Cellular||Cellular||Cellular|
|Amazon Alexa Compatibility|
|Google Home Compatibility|
- Equipment Starting Cost – The cost of your system’s equipment can vary based on the devices you select, but these are the base prices for each company. They can go up from there.
- Pro Monitoring Monthly Starting Cost – This is the lowest monthly fee you should expect to be charged for professional monitoring. The monthly fee can increase depending on the type of monitoring (landline, broadband or cellular) you want and the devices in your system (i.e., cameras and home automation equipment typically result in higher monthly fees).
- Contract Length – This is the standard length of the contract you’ll be required to sign to maintain monitoring for your system.
- Installation – Many companies offer do it yourself (DIY) type installation, which is fairly simple since most sensors attach with a peel and stick (similar to a sticker). Some companies still offer professional installation, if you’d prefer that. If you’re worried about purchasing a DIY security system, we answer some of the most commonly asked questions in our DIY frequently asked questions article. We can help you put your cameras, control panel, sensors and other equipment in the perfect spots in our home security installation guide.
- Installation Fee – DIY installation typically means there is no installation fee. But, if you opt for a company with professional installation, you’ll commonly be charged for it.
- Money-Back Guarantee – The time you have to return the system for a full refund without being locked into a contract. Be sure to read how each company defines its money-back guarantee before signing a contract.
- Warranty – This is the amount of time your equipment will be covered for any defects. Each company has exclusions in its warranty — make sure to read carefully so you understand what is and isn’t covered.
- Battery Backup – This is the amount of time the control panel will operate on battery power during a power outage. Power outages are popular times for burglars to break into homes, so the longer the battery backup time, the better.
- Self Monitoring Option – If you’d prefer to monitor your system yourself and avoid a professional monitoring fee, you can select one of these companies. Keep in mind, a self-monitored system means if an alarm goes off, you are responsible for contacting the appropriate authorities. So, if you are someone who is often away from or mutes your phone (including air travel), this may not be a great fit for you.
- Third Party Monitoring – We recommend companies that use a third party for their monitoring needs because it’s extremely difficult for a company to specialize and excel in both security equipment and 24/7 monitoring.
- Cellular Monitoring – Cellular monitoring is more secure than landline and broadband (internet) because there is no risk of any wires being cut.
Learn more about monitoring stations and the types of monitoring, so you know what to consider before making a purchase.
Who Should You Choose?
If these providers leave you wishing for more options, be sure to read the reviews of our top 3 picks and other well-known home security companies. We’ve reviewed over 14 companies and counting.
Did you find a company that you like?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.