To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Nest is one of the best Wifi thermostat products on the market. It continuously learns about your heating and cooling preferences, so you don’t have to worry about adjusting the thermostat multiple times throughout the day. After one to two weeks of use, the thermostat will remember your habits and begin to set the temperature automatically. You also have the ability to make changes from the Nest app, so if you want to make any adjustments when you’re away from home, you can. Read the rest of our Nest learning thermostat review to see if it’s a good fit for your household.
- Claims to lower your energy bills up to 20%
- Leaf symbol shows when you are conserving energy
- Compatible with Google Home, Amazon Alexa and IFTTT
- Ability to receive energy usage reports
- Programs itself based on your behavior
- Farsight features makes the thermostat light up when you enter the room to display the temperature or time
- Energy Star certified and UL listed
- Shows fingerprints easily
- Adjusts despite you putting it on a desired temperature
6 Key Features
- Learns your schedule and programs itself in about one week
- Automatically turns itself down and saves energy when your home is unoccupied
- Connects to WiFi, so you can control the temperature from a smartphone, tablet or laptop
- When Nest detects your presence across the room it lights up to show you the temperature, time or weather
- Keep track of your energy use history in the Nest App
- Owned by Google so we expect to see more Google Home and other integrations in the future
In the past, we’ve reviewed products that are great, but their apps have left a lot to be desired. To give you an idea of what you can expect from the Nest app, we’ve compiled these positive and negative reviews.
I just switched from Android and a perfectly functioning version of this app. I was really confused to see such a poor rating for the same app but through iOS. I was even more surprises to see significantly better performance (video load time, startup) than on ANdroid! I feel bad there are so many negative reviews when I’ve had a flawless experience. – MaddAddam, iTunes 8/19/2017
Would love to see a function to adjust fan run time once it’s already on. Currently the only way I see is to stop the fan and then restart it for the amount of time you want. Love this app and their products though, beautiful and brilliant! – Mason N., Google Play 8/12/2017
App is riddled with bugs. IOS Notifications that the camera detected something shows with no activity bar until you back out and reopen. App likes to crash, or not play the feed video sometimes after scrubbing. Rarely ever successfully saves a clip without errors. The only thing that ever seems to work right is the thermost functions. Usually notifications that someone is at my door don’t arrive until minutes after the doorbell has rung. Would not recommend nest products. Do yourself a favor and save your money for a better product. Update: New versions released but none of the big bugs resolved. Replacing nest with competitor soon. They obviously don’t care. – jonf.us, iTunes 8/15/2017
I haven’t been able to sign in and register my products since Friday, app accepts my username and password but than I get “There was a problem connecting to the Nest services. Please try again in a few minutes” 4 days and I haven’t been able to use the service. Connected Twitter, they’re no help. I’m told several other Canadians are having this issue. No tweet to say there is an issue and nothing updated on your website to identify an issue. If multiple users are effected why not post something. I feel like I’m just getting brushed off. All my wasted time I feel you should pay me – Steve T., Google Play 8/14/2017
How to Install the Nest Learning Thermostat
You may think that you need a professional to install your Nest thermostat, but that’s not the case. Watch this short video to see how easy it is to install yourself.
How Does The Nest Thermostat Compare?
Want to know how the Nest programmable thermostat stacks up against other smart thermostats? Read our smart thermostat comparison article that covers other thermostats including Nest, Ecobee, Onelink and more. It will help you decide if Nest is the best thermostat to install in your home.
Nest has other smart home products besides just thermostats. Check out our review of the Nest smoke detector. We also review both of their security cameras, the indoor Nest Cam and Nest outdoor camera.Tagged With: Review, Smart Thermostats