To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
It seems like there’s a holiday for just about everything these days. Tequila day, take your dog to work day, best friends day. You name it! But here at Safe Smart Living, we wanted to highlight the days and weeks that are important for creating awareness around security and safety.
Here is a list of relevant personal security holidays throughout the year. We encourage you to take note on your calendar and help spread the word about these important topics to promote safety and security for all. We also linked to relevant corresponding articles so you can learn more.
- National Radon Action Month
- 2nd Week – Home Office Safety and Security Week
- January 28 – Data Privacy Day (or Data Protection Day as it’s known in Europe). Get ready to raise awareness of privacy issues and educate people about the importance of personal digital privacy protection. Today would be a perfect day to ensure you have an ID theft protection solution.
- 1st Week – National Burn Awareness Week. Protect your family with a smoke detector.
- February 8, 2022 – Safer Internet Day is celebrated in more than 100 countries early every February. This day aims to create a safer online community and encourages everyone to be responsible, respectful web browsers. Learn more about cyberbullying stats in the U.S.
- 3rd Week – National Poison Prevention Week. Make sure you are protected with a carbon monoxide detector.
- March 31 – World Backup Day (intentionally the day before April Fool’s Day as not to be a fool and lose your data). The last day of March is a perfect reminder to sync up all your files, photos, and make sure you have a copy stored in the cloud.
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Our driving safety series shares helpful details about dash cams, car accident and drunk driving statistics, and even the future of self-driving car.
- Injury Prevention Month
- Records and Information Management Month. It makes sense that this is the time to ensure your money management is a priority since it’s tax season. Pro tip: file early to avoid tax fraud.
- 4th Week – National Playground Safety Week
- Natural Disaster Preparedness Month. As we head into summer (a time of year prone to tornados, hurricanes, and tropical storms), it’s time to get educated on emergency preparedness.
- Motorcycle Safety Month
- National Electrical Safety Month
- National Water Safety Month
- Building Safety Month
- Youth Traffic Safety Month
- May 2 – National Life Insurance Day marks the anniversary of the day when life insurance sales began in the United States in the late 1760s.
- 2nd Week – National Police Week
- 3rd Week – National Safe Boating Week
- National Safety Month
- June 19-25, 2022 – Lightning Safety Week (thunderstorm and lightning safety tips)
- June 28 – National Insurance Awareness Day reminds everyone to make sure they are covered with insurance policies for all aspects of life (home, auto, health, and more).
- National Fireworks Safety Month (tips for how to safely celebrate America’s independence)
- Vehicle Theft Prevention Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- 2nd Week – Safe + Sound Week
- TBD – Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign kicks off. Find out which states have the highest rates, and how you can lower your chance of getting hurt in our holiday drunk driving article.
- National Preparedness Month. Our emergency prep 101 article has all the best kits. We also put together some handy checklists for you to reference before, during, and after natural disasters.
- 3rd Week – National Child Passenger Safety Week. This annual event focuses on car seat safety. The goal is to make sure children are using the correct car seat and it is properly installed. Further, the day serves as a reminder to register your purchase with the car seat manufacturer in case there are any recalls or other safety updates.
- 3rd Week – National Fall Prevention Awareness Week. A medical alert system can reduce your worry over loved ones’ potential falls.
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month. An entire month to practice cybercrime prevention by adding a VPN and ensuring you have two-step authentication turned on. If you use smart home gadgets like smart speakers, doorbells, or thermostats, having a firewall can protect you from intruder hacks of your digital home data. Read how to protect your WiFi when in public.
- National Crime Prevention Month. Get a monitored home security system to keep your family safe.
- 1st Week – National Fire Prevention Week. Our smoke alarm reviews provide all the information you need to choose the best smoke detector for your home. Also, plan your family’s safe escape with a fire prevention plan.
- TBD – Amazon Prime Day. While not an official holiday, Amazon Prime Day (which normally takes place in mid-July) is happening mid-October (due to the COVID-19 pandemic). Amazon.com created this “holiday,” offering Black Friday-like discounts halfway through the year. Dozens of other retailers have joined in the offers as well. While deal shopping, make sure you’re secure with these tips.
- 3rd Week – National School Bus Safety Week
- 3rd Week – National Teen Driver Safety Week. Make sure your kids aren’t texting and driving with parental monitoring apps.
- October 31 – Halloween safety tips
- November 3 – National Smart Home Day
- November 13-19, 2022 – International Fraud Awareness Week. This is a yearly opportunity to minimize the impact of fraud on a global scale. It is no coincidence that this event falls the week before Thanksgiving when people are more vulnerable during Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping. Check out our comprehensive guide on how to protect your identity. It will reduce your chances of becoming a fraud victim.
- November 30, 2022 – International Computer Security Day. Take a moment to install virus scanning software and parental control apps (if you have kids).
- National Drunk & Drugged Driving Prevention Month. These drunk driving stats by state may surprise you. Stay safe this holiday season — don’t drink and drive.
- Safe Toys & Gifts Month
- 1st Week – Older Driver Safety Awareness Week