To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Frontpoint has security and automation equipment to help protect your home. The service and equipment are top-notch, and the DIY setup is a breeze. And now, it offers month-to-month agreements which makes it convenient for both homeowners and renters.
But the home security space is crowded; there are tons of options. Are you really getting the best value with Frontpoint?
- 2 monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Cellular monitoring for all plans with internet as a backup
- Customer service options: live chat, phone and FAQs
- BBB rating: A+
- Pet-friendly motion sensors ignore the motion of most pets less than 40 pounds
- Crash & Smash Protection: if an intruder destroys the hub or keypad, the distress signal still goes through
- Frontpoint security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-Wave connectivity (a wireless communication protocol) to home automation equipment
- 3-year warranty
- Can also get a medical alert system through Frontpoint (or consider one of the many other alert systems we review)
- Frontpoint has a Setup Wizard that guides you through the installation process and claims to take less than 30 minutes
- Frontpoint monitoring station, Rapid Response, averages a 15-30 second response time
- Month-to-month agreement, no long-term contract
If the power goes out in your home, battery backup will keep your Frontpoint system on and your home protected. Frontpoint has a 24-hour battery backup, which is the standard in home security.
Frontpoint sends a notification when there’s a power outage, and it sends follow-up messages keeping you up to date on the status of your system until power is restored. The backup battery is rechargeable, so once power is restored, the battery will recharge back to 24 hours, so it’s ready for any future needs.
The entire system will continue to work during a power outage unless the equipment requires a high-speed internet connection (e.g., cameras). Door/window sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, etc., don’t require a high-speed internet connection, so they’ll work with battery backup, and you’ll be informed of any triggers to these devices.
Below are the packages Frontpoint offers. You can also purchase additional sensors for an extra fee, which you’ll see listed next to the device. There is also a Build Your Own option, which is à la carte style. Add up the total of your selected equipment and that’s your equipment fee.
Package Name Safe Home Starter Safe Home Everyday Safe Home Select Safe Home Preferred Price $99.00 $295.94 $383.92 $479.90 Control Panel Hub ($249.98) 1 1 1 1 Keypad ($54.99) 1 1 1 1 Door/Window Sensor ($19.99) 2 3 4 5 Motion Sensor ($29.99) 1 2 2 2 Glass Break Sensor ($44.99) 1 1 Smoke & Heat Sensor ($44.99) 1 1 Indoor Camera ($99.99) 1 Yard Sign ($3.99) 1 1 1 1 Window Decals 3-Pack ($3.99) 1 1 1 1 Door Stickers ($3.99) 1 1 1 1
- Premium Indoor Camera $199.99 | Outdoor Camera $169.99 | Doorbell Camera $149.99
- We have dedicated a separate article to go more in-depth on the Frontpoint cameras.
- Touchscreen $119.99 | Keychain Remote $24.99 | Digital Doorbell Adapter $10.99
- Garage Door Tilt Sensor $24.99 | Garage Door Controller $74.99 | Recessed Door Sensor $39.99
- Smart Light Bulb $24.99 | Wireless Light Control $49.99 | Smart Door Lock $149.99
- Smart Thermostat $199.99 is coming soon (meanwhile, any Z-Wave thermostat will also work, including the Nest Thermostat)
- CO Sensor $69.99 | Flood Sensor $24.99 | Panic Pendant $19.99
Interactive Ultimate Price Per Month $44.99 $49.99 Wireless & Cellular Unique User Codes Crash & Smash Protection Geo-location Services Mobile Alerts Remote Access & Control Sensor History Live Video Streaming Video & Image History Motion Triggered Alerts Night Vision Enabled Light Control Smart Lock Control
Frontpoint security was super easy to install and learn how to use. The price is right too. I own a physical medicine clinic and we put up cameras in all the public places to keep an eye on things just Incase anything weird happens. We really like it and it gives us peace of mind. The videos are easy to access on my phone 24/7. It’s already helped us a lot with issues that we would have had no control over had we not had the system in place. I highly recommend it. The cameras are magnetized so they just pop right on and off for easy charging. We thought the charging part might get old but but they run 24/7 and we just take them down once a week and they quickly charge and then we pop them right back up. We put small pieces of tape on the back of the cameras to label which ones go where. It’s so simple and we love them. Great purchase. – Trisha, Consumer Affairs 2/1/2020
I’ve had them a couple of years now and the only thing i can say without any doubt is that they have the BEST customer service people of anyone i’ve ever had to deal with.
EVERY single service tech (and i have called often as i was new to all of this) has been kind and patient with me. I have never felt rushed or was treated like i was asking stupid questions.
Frontpoint is obviously doing something right with their customer service people.
The service itself is reasonably priced and fits my needs perfectly. – Lee Ann C., Yelp 2/21/2020
I have been with this security company for almost 8 years as my area, it was difficult to get this service and at the time of purchase this company seemed most promising . They are overpriced, their monitoring system leaves a lot to be desired, I received notifications on my cell phone 24 hrs later, we removed the system, and called to cancel, even in the current pandemic they charged a cancellation fee of one month. Their dispatch service is not open 24 hrs. Customer service is rude. Do not purchase. Lots of new security services, much cheaper and more reliable. Only regret is been with the company for such a long period. – Nalini, Consumer Affairs 5/1/2020
Been with them for over 3 years. Last evening was the first time I had an issue and called support. The worst customer service I had the displeasure of dealing with. Called to complain about service today. Basically was told to pound sand. Call back Monday and someone may be able to help… if… I have a contract. I don’t and after reading reviews won’t ever have one. Terrible customer service. Less expensive service out there shop elsewhere. – John R., Yelp 5/2/2020
Our Experience With Frontpoint
Two of Safe Smart Living’s staff have had their home protected by Frontpoint for over a decade. Here is their experience:
We were unwittingly drawn into home security when our neighbor’s house got broken into. At the time, not many DIY solutions existed, and the customer service experience in the industry was akin to going to a used car dealership.
Frontpoint was literally a breath of fresh air because we felt no sales pressure. We called in probably half a dozen times with questions, and they answered them with no strings attached. That was the beginning of a harmonious relationship. Their customer service has always been there for us, and they’ve done multiple equipment replacements at no additional cost to us.
Their monitoring fees may not be the least expensive, but in our experience, a long-term relationship with Frontpoint more than makes up for it. Not to mention, they have some of the more cutting-edge technologies on the market.
Not sure if you can install a security system yourself? Check out this brief video that runs you through the Frontpoint setup process.
We demo the Frontpoint app and take you through its capabilities. You’ll find a video of the interface, features compared to other home security apps, pros/cons by users and more in our Frontpoint app review.
We review Frontpoint’s camera offerings, which include 2 indoor cameras, an outdoor camera and a doorbell camera. They integrate with the Frontpoint system, which means you’ll be able to view, record and schedule camera actions and video feeds in the app or portal.
The Frontpoint website gives you full control over your system. While the app is catching up and now offers many of the features the portal does, the portal is still the go-to resource if you really want to tweak and optimize your system.
The portal has a plethora of features, and it’s easy to get lost, so we deep dive into the customer portal with screenshots and tutorials to help you find your way around.
Here are the top questions that get asked about Frontpoint by our readers. Don’t see yours? Ask it below!
Does Ring Work With Frontpoint?
How Can I Arm My Frontpoint System?
You can arm your system either in the smartphone app or in the website portal. You just tap the arming logo and choose from Stay Mode (arms door and window sensors only) or Away Mode (also arms motion sensors).
How Do I Change The Battery In My Frontpoint Motion Sensor?
Frontpoint motion sensors are manufactured by Interlogix (formerly GE Security). The process may vary depending on the generation of motion sensor you have, but in general, this video should help you remove the cover from the motion sensor (which is not as easy as it looks!) so you can access the battery compartment. You’ll need two AA batteries.
See the key differences between Frontpoint and other leading home security companies.
- ADT uses authorized resellers, so customer service can vary. Meanwhile, Frontpoint is known for its outstanding customer service and it’s consistent.
- Frontpoint uses cellular for all of its monitoring plans. ADT requires you to upgrade plans for cellular monitoring.
- ADT has long-term contracts, no equipment fees for introductory systems and requires professional installation with a fee. Frontpoint has no long-term contracts, charges for its equipment and has a DIY installation.
- Protect America requires a 3-year contract.
- Protect America offers broadband and landline monitoring packages.
- Frontpoint has a better customer service reputation.
- Neither company has long-term contracts, and both have 3-year equipment warranties.
- Frontpoint’s equipment lineup is more thorough than SimpliSafe’s, including an outdoor camera.
- Frontpoint has an exceptional customer service reputation with few customer complaints outside of their former 3-year contract.
- SimpliSafe’s monitoring plan is $20 cheaper per month than Frontpoint’s.
- Neither company has long-term contracts, and Frontpoint has a 3-year warranty, while Ring’s is 1 year.
- Ring’s professional monitoring plan is only $10 per month, while Frontpoint’s starts at $44.99 per month.
- All of Frontpoint’s plans have cellular monitoring; Ring’s are broadband.
- Both companies use the same monitoring company, Rapid Response, which has 2 monitoring stations.
Frontpoint was co-founded in 2007 by Aaron Shumaker, Chris Villar and Peter Rogers, all former analysts at Goldman Sachs. It all started with them putting together a business plan on cocktail napkins on nights and weekends. Eventually, they decided it was time to turn their hobby into a business.
The central focus of the business plan was high-touch customer service. Their goal was to do what was best for the customer, not necessarily their bottom line. So, they moved forward with the focus being on taking care of customers and employees and hoping that everything else would work out. This stood out in a crowded field of old-timers: security companies that were akin to used car dealerships and placed sales ahead of customer experience.
Frontpoint is also known for being one of the first home security companies to introduce a DIY (do it yourself) system at a time when homeowners were used to having professional installers come by and drill holes in their walls to secure sensors. Since then, competitors have stepped up by offering DIY installation and better customer service as well.
Today, Frontpoint is one of the best home security companies in the industry. We think this is heavily in part thanks to their focus being on you, their customer, and having the foresight to realize the positive impact this would have on their bottom line.
If you want a professionally monitored security system with cellular monitoring and quality equipment, Frontpoint is tough to beat. It has an excellent customer service reputation as well. If you’re on the fence about Frontpoint, you can test out the system for 30 days. And if you don’t love it, you can return it within that timeframe.
If you want to see how Frontpoint compares against other home security companies, read our best home security systems comparison. We’ve reviewed over a dozen companies and include pros and cons for each company we review.
Is there something you think Frontpoint is missing?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.