To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Frontpoint has security and automation equipment to help protect your home. The service and equipment are top-notch, and the DIY setup is a breeze. And now, it offers month to month agreements which makes it convenient for both homeowners and renters.
- 2 monitoring stations, so if one goes down (e.g., due to a natural disaster), another is there as a backup
- Cellular monitoring for all plans with internet as a backup
- Customer service options: live chat, phone and FAQs
- BBB rating: A+
- Pet-friendly motion sensors ignore the motion of most pets less than 40 pounds
- Crash & Smash Protection: if an intruder destroys the hub or keypad, the distress signal still goes through
- Frontpoint security app lets you monitor your system while away
- Z-wave connectivity (a wireless communication protocol) to home automation equipment
- 3-year warranty
- Can also get a medical alert system through Frontpoint (or consider one of the many other alert systems we review)
- Frontpoint has a Setup Wizard that guides you through the installation process and claims to take less than 30 minutes
- Frontpoint monitoring station, Rapid Response, averages a 15-30 second response time
- Month to month agreement, no long-term contract
If the power goes out in your home, battery backup will keep your Frontpoint system on and your home protected. Frontpoint has a 24-hour battery backup, which is the standard in home security.
Frontpoint sends a notification when there’s a power outage, and it sends follow up messages keeping you up to date on the status of your system until power is restored. The backup battery is rechargeable, so once power is restored, the battery will recharge back to 24 hours, so it is ready for any future needs.
The entire system will continue to work during a power outage unless the equipment requires a high-speed internet connection (e.g., cameras). Door/window sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, etc. do not require a high-speed internet connection, so they will work with battery backup and you will be informed of any triggers to these devices.
Below are typical functions you can control within a home security app. The included column lists those supported by the Frontpoint app. Please know that to use some of the features you must have certain equipment. For example, you cannot lock/unlock doors unless you have smart locks in place that are compatible with your security system. Learn more about the Frontpoint app and cameras.
Function Included Arm/Disarm System Arm/Disarm By Sensor Smart Plug Control Lock/Unlock Smart Doors View Camera Live Stream Camera Controls (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) View Recorded Video View Doorbell Camera Image Sensor Images* Event History Weather Smart Thermostat Controls Control Lights On/Off Only (No Scheduling) Create Programs/Schedules Garage Door Control Geofencing Multi-Factor Authentication Add/Change Security Codes Move System Contact Support Purchase Equipment Manage & Pay For Monitoring
*Not compatible with the new hub.
Below are the packages Frontpoint offers. You can also purchase additional sensors for an extra fee, which you’ll see listed next to the device. There is also a Build Your Own option, which is à la carte style. Add up the total of your selected equipment and that’s your equipment fee.
Package Name Safe Home Everyday Safe Home Plus Safe Home Select Safe Home Preferred Price $99.00 $319.94 $383.92 $479.90 Control Panel Hub ($119.99 each) 1 1 1 1 Keypad ($49.99 each) 1 1 1 1 Door/Window Sensor ($19.99 each) 3 3 4 5 Motion Sensor ($29.99 each) 2 2 2 Glass Break Sensor ($44.99 each) 2 1 1 Smoke & Heat Sensor ($44.99 each) 1 1 Indoor Camera ($99.99 each) 1 Premium Indoor Camera ($193.99 each) Outdoor Camera ($167.50 each) Doorbell Camera ($149.99 each) Digital Doorbell Adapter ($10.99 each) Yard Sign ($3.99 each) 1 1 1 1 Window Decals - set of 3 ($3.99 each) 1 1 1 1 Door Stickers ($3.99 each) 1 1 1 1 Garage Door Tilt Sensor ($22.99 each) CO Sensor ($69.99 each) Flood Sensor ($24.99 each) Smart Light Bulb ($9.99 each) Wireless Light Control ($49.99 each) Garage Door Controller ($74.99 each) Smart Door Lock ($149.99 each) Panic Pendant ($19.99 each) Keychain Remote ($19.99 each) Recessed Door Sensor ($39.99 each) Smart Thermostat ($199.99 each) COMING SOON
We’ve dedicated a separate article to the Frontpoint cameras. And if you are interested in integrating a thermostat with your system, any Z-wave thermostat will work, including the Nest Thermostat. Frontpoint is also coming out with a smart thermostat, but there’s currently no release date.
Interactive Ultimate Price Per Month $44.99 $49.99 Wireless & Cellular Unique User Codes Crash & Smash Protection Geo-location Services Mobile Alerts Remote Access & Control Sensor History Live Video Streaming Video & Image History Motion Triggered Alerts Night Vision Enabled Light Control Smart Lock Control
This was extremely easy to set up and customer service is extremely helpful. I’m over 66 and not tech savvy so if I can do this anyone can do it. I feel very secure. Any time I have a question they are always there to help. – Karin, Consumer Affairs 3/16/2019
I have been with Frontpoint Home security since I purchased my home in January 2012. I’ve been satisfied with their customer service as well as my alarm system. The cost of my monthly service fee is reasonable and has not changed and will not change with Frontpoint for as long as I use them. It is important that you have some technical skill with this alarm company because they have you replace parts on your system if necessary, which they send out to you free of charge. They walk you through the process of course. They do not have technicians that come out to your home. I am very happy with my service and do not plan to move to any other company. – Shimeaka G., Yelp 2/23/2019
I purchased this system before a move, paying a couple hundred for all their equipment. Six months later I moved, and asked if I could cancel as I no longer needed the system. They asked me to pay 80% of the entire value of the contract for the remaining 3 years. A year later, I didn’t turn on the system for over a year, and called back to see if I could cancel again, as I’d be paying for something I didn’t use. Again, same response. I’d have to pay 80% of the value of the contract, even though it has been sitting unused for 80% of the 2 years I’ve had it and been paying for it. Pretty ridiculous rules. I’m not a fan. – Jonathan, Consumer Affairs 2/28/2019
I was initially excited to get this system. Paid over $400.00 for the equipment. 1. They sent the equipment to my house when I specifically asked them to wait (1) day. Took almost a week and a half to track the equipment down. 2. Called for help with camera set up and the technician spoke to me like I was bothering him. Wow – Earla S., Yelp 11/10/2018
Our Experience With Frontpoint
Two of Safe Smart Living’s staff have had their home protected by Frontpoint for over a decade. Here is their experience:
We were unwittingly drawn into home security when our neighbor’s house got broken into. At the time, not many DIY solutions existed, and the customer service experience in the industry was akin to going to a used car dealership.
Frontpoint was literally a breath of fresh air because we felt no sales pressure. We called in probably half a dozen times with questions and they answered them with no strings attached. That was the beginning of a harmonious relationship. Their customer service has always been there for us, and they’ve done multiple equipment replacements at no additional cost to us.
Their monitoring fees may not be the least expensive, but in our experience a long-term relationship with Frontpoint more than makes up for it. Not to mention they have some of the more cutting edge technologies on the market.
Not sure if you can install a security system yourself? Check out this brief video that runs you through the Frontpoint setup process.
See what the key differences are between Frontpoint and other leading home security companies.
- ADT uses authorized resellers, so customer service can vary. Meanwhile, Frontpoint is known for its outstanding customer service and it is consistent.
- Frontpoint uses cellular for all of its monitoring plans. ADT requires you to upgrade plans for cellular monitoring.
- ADT has long-term contracts, no equipment fees for introductory systems and requires professional installation with a fee. Frontpoint has no long-term contracts, charges for its equipment and has a DIY installation.
- Protect America requires a 3-year contract.
- Protect America offers broadband and landline monitoring packages.
- Frontpoint has a better customer service reputation.
- Neither company has long-term contracts and both have 3-year equipment warranties.
- Frontpoint’s equipment lineup is more thorough than SimpliSafe’s including an outdoor camera.
- Frontpoint has an exceptional customer service reputation with few customer complaints outside of their former 3-year contract.
- SimpliSafe’s monitoring plan is $20 cheaper per month than Frontpoint’s.
- Neither company has long-term contracts and Frontpoint has a 3-year warranty while Ring’s is 1 year.
- Ring’s professional monitoring plan is only $10 per month while Frontpoint’s starts at $44.99 per month.
- All of Frontpoint’s plans have cellular monitoring, Ring’s are broadband.
- Both companies use the same monitoring company, Rapid Response, which has 2 monitoring stations.
If you want a professionally monitored security system with cellular monitoring and quality equipment, Frontpoint is tough to beat. It has an excellent customer service reputation as well. If you’re on the fence about Frontpoint, you can test out the system for 30 days. If you don’t love it, you can return it within that timeframe.
If you want to see how Frontpoint compares against other home security companies, read our best home security systems comparison. We’ve reviewed over a dozen companies and include pros and cons for each company we review.
Is there something you think Frontpoint is missing?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.