To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Uh oh, you’ve heard about the data hacks and credit card breaches – identity theft is serious business and a security threat for each and every one of us. But now it’s time for you to learn more. Way to take the initiative to research the topic! Our LifeLock review includes the pros, cons, key features, pricing, customer testimonials and more to help you decide if the cost of LifeLock is worth it.
Our team had the opportunity to try the LifeLock Ultimate package to test its functionality and give you this unbiased review. Testing the service did provide a more accurate, first-hand perspective. LifeLock is not the only contender in the identity theft protection space – we review over half a dozen companies and discuss their pros and cons in our identity theft protection reviews.
- Million Dollar Protection™ Package
- Detects use of personal information to apply for a line of credit, utilities, cell phone plans, etc.
- Monitors your driver’s license, mother’s maiden name and medical information
- Fully managed recovery support
- A- BBB rating
- 24/7 support
- Monitors websites to make sure your credentials are not for sale
- Features include court records scanning and sex offender registry
- Offers more coverage than some other competitors
- Child plan is available as an add-on to an adult plan
- Delay on notifications for credit reports
- Does not monitor all transactions at all businesses
- Does not monitor email
- Must upgrade plans for bank account coverage and credit report/score monitoring
Below we’ve gone into further detail about some of the things we like and don’t like about LifeLock.
- 24/7 Support – Around the clock customer support is one of LifeLock’s big selling points. Criminals don’t work 9-5 jobs—they are scheming 24/7. That’s why it’s important to have an identity theft protection service with customer support available 24/7 to help you.
- Child Plan – Not all identity theft protection services offer a child specific plan—LifeLock is one of the few that does.
- No Family Discount – LifeLock offers no family plan discount. So, if you want to be proactive and cover everyone in your family, the price is going to increase quickly since there is no group plan available.
- Credit Scores and Reports – LifeLock offers credit scores and reports from all three bureaus.
- Up to $1 Million Service Guarantee – This is the maximum amount of money LifeLock will pay if their service is found to have failed.
- Up to $1 Million Insurance for Lost Funds
|LifeLock Junior||Select||Advantage||Ultimate Plus|
|Price||Listed Price: $5.99/month or $65.99/year||$9.99/month or $119.88/year||$19.99/month or $239.88/year||$29.99/month|
|Identity Threat Detection and Alerts|
|File-Sharing Network Searches|
|Credit File Verification|
|LifeLock Identity Alert System|
|Lost Wallet Protection|
|USPS Address Change Verification|
|Reduced Pre-Approved Credit Card Offers|
|Black Market Website Surveillance|
|Live Member Support 24/7/365|
|$1 Million Total Service Guarantee|
|Fictitious Identity Monitoring|
|Court Records Scanning|
|Home Title Monitoring|
|Data Breach Notifications|
|Online Annual Credit Reports and Scores||1 Credit Bureau||3 Credit Bureau|
|Credit Card, Checking and Savings Account Activity Alerts|
|Investment Account Activity Alerts|
|Checking and Savings Account Application Alerts|
|Bank Account Takeover Alerts|
|Credit Inquiry Activity|
|File-Sharing Network Searches|
|Sex Offender Registry Reports|
|Monthly Credit Score Tracking|
Does LifeLock work? These customers have first-hand experience with LifeLock. Read about their experiences below.
Thanks to LifeLock they have been at my service since my first breach. They’ve made it easy for my father and I too have some security. Since 2017 they have made it easy and very professional And customer service has help me along the way for safer online experience and secure my accounts. Thanks LifeLock. Great job. – Daniel, ConsumerAffairs 7/28/2019
Thank you for protecting my husband and me with the alerts and notifications you send to inform us of any discrepancies that may come our way, unknowingly. Your involvement assures us that you care about your clients and you’re committed to them; that’s where trust begins and ends. Thank you for all you do for us! It is appreciated more than you know! – Linda H., Trustpilot 11/26/2017
Hear about Casey’s scary experience and how LifeLock helped him.
We signed up for LifeLock after my identity was stolen. We could never get an English speaking person, we just kept getting transferred around from dept to dept. They kept writing tickets when I called with an issue and gave me a case number saying someone would call me back. They never did. – Karen, ConsumerAffairs 8/18/2019
Very difficult to cancel a subscription with them. Had to block the card used with their transactions to get rid of them, because they would not comply with cancelling my subscription. Felt like they held my ssn hostage. It is laughable that they behaved this way, and that I trusted them with my sensitive information. The joke was on me, but I will not use them again. – Anna S., BBB 8/7/2019
See what the key differences are between LifeLock and other leading identity theft protection companies.
- LifeLock and Experian IdentityWorks will both monitor your personal information, court records, bank accounts, credit cards, credit bureaus and even the sex offender registry in your area. LifeLock also monitors investment accounts and driver’s license. Experian does provide all 3 credit reports every 90 days (instead of annually from LifeLock).
- LifeLock has a much better customer service record and provides 24/7 access to fraud specialists.
- Experian’s pricing is lower than LifeLock’s, both for individuals and families.
- IdentityForce provides a larger scope of monitoring coverage with its UltraSecure+Credit plan.
- Both LifeLock and IdentityForce provide U.S.-based, 24/7 access to certified ID theft specialists and general member services. And their websites have a lot of useful resources about identity theft and the recovery process.
- The LifeLock app’s user interface is easier to use and includes an in-app messenger that quickly connects you to member services and ID theft specialists.
- IdentityForce’s add-on child plan is more affordable than LifeLock’s child add-on protection, and the plans largely cover the same things.
- LifeLock and Identity Guard will both monitor your personal information, court records, bank accounts, credit cards, credit bureaus and more. LifeLock also keeps an eye on your investment account activity and driver’s license and monitors the sex offender registry in your area.
- With Identity Guard you can cover two adults and two children for only $27.99 per month. To get the same level of coverage for a family of four with LifeLock, you’ll end up spending more than $50 per month. You can also enjoy the same savings with Identity Guard’s Couple Plan.
- LifeLock provides full recovery services and 24/7 access to their fraud specialists, who take care of most of the recovery process for you. While Identity Guard also offers 24/7 access to specialists, you’re responsible for all the legwork to recover your identity. Identity Guard also provides up to $1 million in reimbursement insurance (as does LifeLock).
- LifeLock also monitors your investment accounts, IDShield does not.
- IDShield’s app provides a quick connection to their certified fraud specialists.
- IDShield offers a family plan for only $24.95 per month, you get coverage for two adults and up to 10 minors. There is no LifeLock family plan. You’re required to have separate accounts for adults, and you must pay $5.99 per month for each child for their LifeLock Junior package.
- Both IDShield and LifeLock offer full recovery services, but IDShield’s fraud specialists are licensed private investigators, who average seven years of experience from law enforcement, banking and collection backgrounds.
Would you believe us if we told you that 15 million people in the U.S. have their identities stolen every year? Well, it certainly isn’t a lie. Identity theft is a crime that continues to increase, and that’s why it’s important to get ahead of it before it takes over your life. Protect yourself and your family today by purchasing identity theft protection.
If you’re just getting started, we have a starter guide on identity theft. If you’re already familiar with identity theft and are ready to see who wins our showdown, check our comparison review of all the major identity theft providers.
Do you know someone who has had their identity stolen?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.